New dispersal zone targets East End street gangs and drug dealers
A new dispersal zone to kick yobs off the streets has been set up in London’s East End by police and the local authority.
It is targeted at drug dealers and street gangs in parts of Bethnal Green and Stepney Green.
The temporary zone running till November 10 stretches from the Liverpool Street main-line railway in the north, between Globe Road and Cambridge Heath Road, down to the Mile End Road in the south, between Globe Road, Cambridge Heath Road and the Collingwood Estate.
It follows earlier exclusion zones in Spitalfields and Whitechapel, centred around Brick Lane.
The new zone applied for by the Met Police has been approved by Tower Hamlets Council, following complaints from the public about drug dealing, intimidation and anti-social behaviour in the area. Traders complained of youths loitering outside their premises harassing customers.
You may also want to watch:
“We are determined to stop the actions of a small minority,” warned Pol Insp Gary Anderson. “These powers reinforce the message that crime and anti-social behaviour will not be tolerated.”
The Dispersal Order allows police and council support officers to exclude for up to 24 hours groups of two or more acting in an anti-social manner who don’t live in the area. Those banned would face arrest with fines up to £2,500 or prison if caught in the zone within the ban period.
- 1 Politicians join forces on referendum about Tower Hamlets mayor
- 2 Man, 19, stabbed in Stepney Green Park
- 3 Refugee fighting £2,850 claim in lettings agency dispute
- 4 Cyclist in critical condition after 'serious collision' in Bow
- 5 Shoppers queue for bread on opening weekend of new Wapping street market
- 6 Unmesh Desai: British Bangladeshi community is important part of the East End
- 7 Shops reopening after lockdown now fear council rent hikes
- 8 Jailed: Teenagers who left victim blind in one eye after train stabbing
- 9 Community group founder calls for mandatory ethnic pay gap reporting
- 10 'Torrent of hate' stalker tweeted pictures of victim on social media