Oh, rats! Tower Hamlets tops table for rodent complaints
- Credit: PA Archive/Press Association Images
Tower Hamlets received the most reports of rodents than any other London borough in the last five years, figures reveal.
The borough logged 30,000 complaints about rats and mice since 2012, an average of 16 a day.
Around 186,000 reports were recorded in the capital’s boroughs, according to figures obtained by Freedom of Information request.
“London’s crawling – and the problem is getting worse,” said London Assembly member Susan Hall, who compiled a report.
Brent and Camden followed Tower Hamlets as the worst boroughs for rat complaints, with 19,978 and 13,558 respectively.
You may also want to watch:
Complaints rose by 10 per cent between 2015/16 and the last financial year.
Ms Hall said a “co-ordinated approach” led by the Mayor was needed to avoid “our city being overrun by rats like Paris and Harrow”.
- 1 Luxury Canary Wharf flats going for lower rent set by the council
- 2 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 3 Fines totalling £361k handed to East End landlords and agents
- 4 Isle of Dogs man who murdered teenager at Crossharbour DLR sentenced to 27 years
- 5 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 6 Barts Health NHS Trust reports one of lowest rates of vaccinated staff
- 7 Man charged after triple stabbing on night bus in Mile End
- 8 Capacity at West Ham's London stadium to increase to 62,500
- 9 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 10 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
The council says it offers free pest services for rat complaints.