Olympic Park floating church ‘launch’ on Lea River by Diocese of London
- Credit: Diocese of London
A floating church could be coming to a parish near you with plans being unveiled for canal boat worship on the Lea River next to the Olympic Park.
Two east London parish churches, St Paul’s Old Ford in St Stephen’s Road and St Mary of Eton in Eastway, Hackney Wick, want to push the boat out to reach outlying communities in the Olympic Park on the opposite bank.
A public consultation is being held until Saturday on board the Elsdale II canal boat leased from the Groundwork South charity by the Diocese of London, moored at Canalside at Here East, in the Olympic Park.
The boat is being used as a temporary floating church until a purpose-built vessel is made ready while the diocese applies for local planning permission.
The idea already has the blessing of the Bishop of Stepney, Adrian Newman, who said: “A floating church in East London shows the way the diocese is seeking to spread its ministry and support communities. The design is a ‘vision’ to become a reality.”
You may also want to watch:
It would be pushed out to reach the communities springing up at Here East, Eastwick and Sweetwater in the Olympic Park development zone, as a venue for Christian worship and place of learning.
The vessel would also be available for hire for community programmes, children’s theatre, art exhibitions, business functions and interfaith celebrations.
- 1 Jailed: drug dealer who rammed police with stolen car to escape
- 2 East End pays tribute to Prince Philip
- 3 Housing protest at Shadwell's Watney Market over service charges hike
- 4 Boxpark reopening in Shoreditch with face masks and Covid hygiene measures
- 5 'Torrent of hate' stalker tweeted pictures of victim on social media
- 6 Jailed: Smash-and-grab perfume raiders get 18 years between them
- 7 Pictures: Remembering Prince Philip's visits to east London
- 8 Appeal for dashcam footage following stabbing in Stepney churchyard
- 9 Fire crews fight blaze in railway arch in Bow
- 10 New street market coming to Docklands is Will's passion