Olympic Park floating church ‘launch’ on Lea River by Diocese of London
- Credit: Diocese of London
A floating church could be coming to a parish near you with plans being unveiled for canal boat worship on the Lea River next to the Olympic Park.
Two east London parish churches, St Paul’s Old Ford in St Stephen’s Road and St Mary of Eton in Eastway, Hackney Wick, want to push the boat out to reach outlying communities in the Olympic Park on the opposite bank.
A public consultation is being held until Saturday on board the Elsdale II canal boat leased from the Groundwork South charity by the Diocese of London, moored at Canalside at Here East, in the Olympic Park.
The boat is being used as a temporary floating church until a purpose-built vessel is made ready while the diocese applies for local planning permission.
The idea already has the blessing of the Bishop of Stepney, Adrian Newman, who said: “A floating church in East London shows the way the diocese is seeking to spread its ministry and support communities. The design is a ‘vision’ to become a reality.”
You may also want to watch:
It would be pushed out to reach the communities springing up at Here East, Eastwick and Sweetwater in the Olympic Park development zone, as a venue for Christian worship and place of learning.
The vessel would also be available for hire for community programmes, children’s theatre, art exhibitions, business functions and interfaith celebrations.
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 4 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 5 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 6 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 7 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 8 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 9 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 10 Pressure on government to provide laptops for lockdown learning