Olympic Park floating church ‘launch’ on Lea River by Diocese of London
- Credit: Diocese of London
A floating church could be coming to a parish near you with plans being unveiled for canal boat worship on the Lea River next to the Olympic Park.
Two east London parish churches, St Paul’s Old Ford in St Stephen’s Road and St Mary of Eton in Eastway, Hackney Wick, want to push the boat out to reach outlying communities in the Olympic Park on the opposite bank.
A public consultation is being held until Saturday on board the Elsdale II canal boat leased from the Groundwork South charity by the Diocese of London, moored at Canalside at Here East, in the Olympic Park.
The boat is being used as a temporary floating church until a purpose-built vessel is made ready while the diocese applies for local planning permission.
The idea already has the blessing of the Bishop of Stepney, Adrian Newman, who said: “A floating church in East London shows the way the diocese is seeking to spread its ministry and support communities. The design is a ‘vision’ to become a reality.”
You may also want to watch:
It would be pushed out to reach the communities springing up at Here East, Eastwick and Sweetwater in the Olympic Park development zone, as a venue for Christian worship and place of learning.
The vessel would also be available for hire for community programmes, children’s theatre, art exhibitions, business functions and interfaith celebrations.
- 1 Luxury Canary Wharf flats going for lower rent set by the council
- 2 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 3 Isle of Dogs man who murdered teenager at Crossharbour DLR sentenced to 27 years
- 4 Go-ahead given for 315 more homes in third stage of Blackwall Reach scheme
- 5 Man charged after triple stabbing on night bus in Mile End
- 6 'Grief and queer coming of age' theatre show to be put on for London Horror Festival
- 7 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
- 8 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 9 Why TfL won't restart the night tube on Jubilee line just yet
- 10 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week