Protest ride tonight after French cyclist on ‘Boris Bike’ killed in Whitechapel
- Credit: Archant
A protest ride is being staged through the East End tonight after a French student became the first cyclist to be killed on a Boris Bike.
The demonstration calling on London Mayor Boris Johnson to provide dedicated space for cycling across the capital comes after Philippine De Gerin-Ricard, who lived in Bromley-by-Bow, died from multiple injures at the notorious Gardiner’s Corner gyratory system, near Aldgate East Tube station.
The 20-year-old, who was on a work-experience placement with Marks & Spencer, was travelling on a hired Boris Bike when she was in collision with a lorry during Friday’s evening’s rush hour.
Protesters will meet at Tower Hill at 6pm this evening for the 30 minute ride to Altab Ali Park organised by the London Cycling Campaign.
It includes a brief stop at the junction of Whitechapel Road and Commercial Street to pay respect to Philippine at the spot where she died exactly a week ago.
Philippine became the third cyclist to die in collision with a lorry on or near the Superhighway 2. Brian Dorling and Svitlana Tereschenko were both killed at Bromley-by-Bow roundabout in 2011.
In a statement LCC said: “We’re calling on all Londoners to join our protest ride to tell the Mayor to design our city streets for cyclists of all abilities, so no more families suffer the heartbreak of losing a loved one as has happened so recently at Aldgate and in Lewisham.”
- 1 Coroner concerned with Barts NHS trust after woman 'unlawfully killed'
- 2 Jailed: Rapist who repeatedly attacked woman in her own home
- 3 Man arrested over two separate rape allegations - one previously unknown to police
- 4 Lib Dem candidate for Tower Hamlets mayor announced
- 5 Come Dine With Me calls on east London restaurants for new show
- 6 One per cent council tax rise planned with borough set for balanced budget
- 7 Olympian burglary: Men with links to Plaistow and Isle of Dogs wanted
- 8 Wanted: Man known to commit offences on train and tube network
- 9 ‘It is not tolerated’: CCTV images released after West Ham game disorder
- 10 Guilty: East London criminals jailed in December 2021