Revealed: 10 staff at Tower Hamlets Council earning six figure sums
Ten senior staff at Tower Hamlets town hall are raking in six figure salaries – down from a whopping 31 last year.
Figures released by public spending pressure group the TaxPayers’ Alliance revealed the council has slashed the numbers of bureaucrats on high wages by two thirds between 2010/11 and 2011/12.
TaxPayers’ Allicance chief executive Matthew Sinclair welcomed the reduction in high earners.
“It is good news that the number of senior council staff making more than £100,000 a year is finally falling, although that may only be because many authorities have finished paying eye-watering redundancy bills”, he said.
The town hall’s two highest earners received a remuneration package of £182,500 in 2011/12.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Sinclair warned of repercussions if councils did not continue cutting the number of staff taking home bulging pay packets.
“Residents won’t be impressed if their council pleads poverty when it is demanding more and more council tax, only then to spend it creating more town hall tycoons”, he said.
- 1 East London's 10 prettiest streets to visit
- 2 Brigade issues fire safety warning after Limehouse studio blaze
- 3 Man who stabbed teen at Crossharbour station found guilty of murder
- 4 Police officer sacked after criminal conviction
- 5 Khalid Ali couldn't hide delight after winning start against Dean Wilkinson
- 6 Man in 30s dies after Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 7 Road and rail round-up: Steer clear of these disruptions next week
- 8 Jailed: Tower Hamlets man who tried to rape another man
- 9 Three places to go pumpkin picking near east London
- 10 Concern growing for man last seen at Bow Road station
And a spokesperson for Tower Hamlets Council insisted it would continue to push for savings, as it faces the task of cutting spending by £100million over a four year period.
“As the council continues to face the likelihood of further reductions in funding as a consequence of the government’s ongoing austerity programme, we will continue to evaluate all options in order to protect essential front-line services.”
Neighbouring borough Hackney had 11 staff on six figure salaries, while Newham had 22.