Sky-rise hotel in Limehouse next to DLR finally gets the green light
- Credit: Rockwell
A new hotel and residential tower complex in Limehouse has finally been given the go-ahead after designers had to go back to the drawing board.
The height of the 30-storey main tower now agreed by Tower Hamlets Council for the site next to Westferry DLR station has been modified from a scheme rejected last year.
Last night’s strategic development committee passed the application with its modification following public consultations earlier this year.
The site in West India Dock Road, on the approach to Canary Wharf and the Isle of Dogs, has been derelict for a decade, but first had planning permission for a tower block back in 2010.
Rockwell developers which later bought the site decided not to go ahead with the original scheme and applied instead for planning consent for their own tower block design, but failed to get it passed.
You may also want to watch:
The new modified plans agreed last night include a 400-room hotel with restaurant, café, bar, 66 flats and half-an-acre of gardens with an urban arboretum and children’s play area.
Rockwell’s founder Donal Mulryan said: “Our vision is breathing new life into a neglected site that has been derelict for years.”
- 1 Man, 19, stabbed in Stepney Green Park
- 2 Refugee fighting £2,850 claim in lettings agency dispute
- 3 Cyclist in critical condition after 'serious collision' in Bow
- 4 Shoppers queue for bread on opening weekend of new Wapping street market
- 5 Jailed: Teenagers who left victim blind in one eye after train stabbing
- 6 Canary Wharf floats idea for new green restaurant on water
- 7 Patient group set up over allegations of 'poor care' at Royal London
- 8 Brick Lane's famous bagel shop launches delivery service
- 9 New street market coming to Docklands is Will's passion
- 10 'Hold still while I ink your portrait for Captain Tom challenge'
His company is putting up £7 million in planning and infrastructure levy for area improvements. Construction is due to start next summer.