Sheep and apprentices on the Isle of Dogs greet Tower Hamlets mayor at Mudchute Farm
- Credit: LBTH
The sheep got a visit from the mayor promoting National Apprenticeship Week when he looked in at Mudchute city farm on the Isle of Dogs.
Europe’s largest urban farm has been given Tower Hamlets Council funding for three new apprentices, with two recruits just joining the first apprentice who has been working on the farm for a year.
Tanjima Khanam, 21, from Poplar, was already volunteering at the farm when the apprenticeship opportunity came up.
“It’s been quite a journey to get here,” she said. “I want to stay here for as long as possible.”
They work in accounts, childcare and animal care and are training for NVQ qualifications, arranged by the East End Community Foundation.
You may also want to watch:
One of the new apprentices is 19-year-old Louie Legon who originally I wanted to be a zookeeper. He revealed: “I get assessed every couple of months and am learning something new every day.”
The money to pay for their training comes from levies that the council, like all local authorities, charges developers for planning consent on major schemes, to benefit the community.
- 1 Man in 30s dies after Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 2 Man who stabbed teen at Crossharbour station found guilty of murder
- 3 Police patrols to increase after fatal Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 4 Concern growing for man last seen at Bow Road station
- 5 Police officer sacked after criminal conviction
- 6 Authorities urged to act against 'terrifying' Isle of Dogs car races
- 7 Sentencing of arms dealers set for one year after Isle of Dogs raid
- 8 Man who died in Mile End park named
- 9 Two men arrested in connection with Shadwell double stabbing
- 10 Man found with stab injuries in Stepney
The town hall has committed to broker 1,000 placements through the Mayor’s Apprenticeship programme.
The apprenticeship scheme has already led to 150 opportunities created while the council’s ‘Work Path’ programme has helped 2,600 people into training and employment since its launch a year ago.