Shelina Akhtar: Tower Hamlets by-election for Spitalfields and Banglatown to be held next month
The Tower Hamlets by-election will be held next month rather than in May to coincide with the London Mayoral election.
A vacancy for a councillor in the Spitalfields and Banglatown ward arose after disgraced former Shelina Akhtar was jailed for three-and-half month for benefit fraud.
The by-election for her former seat will be held on April 19, the council has just announced.
Leader of the Labour opposition in Tower Hamlets, Joshua Peck, had argued for the by-election to be held on May 3 to coincide with the London Mayoral election.
“A by-election on a separate day will be a colossal waste of money and less democratic with less people likely to turn out,” he said.
You may also want to watch:
Normally a by-election has to be held within 35 days of two electors requesting a by-election after a vacancy has arisen.
But Cllr Peck wanted to Town Hall to apply to government for an extension.
- 1 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 2 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 3 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 5 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 6 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 7 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 8 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
- 9 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 10 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse