Old London Hospital ‘back yard’ space squares up to Tower Hamlets public consultation
- Credit: LBTH
Ambitious plans to turn the ‘back yard’ of the old London Hospital into Whitechapel’s prestigious ‘London Square ’ are going on public show.
The Grade II-listed former hospital in the Whitechapel Road dating back to the 1740s is being fitted out as the new Tower Hamlets town hall and civic centre opening in 2022.
But what to do with the hidden garden square at the back is part of the Whitechapel Masterplan for rejuvenating the run-down district after Crossrail opens later this year.
Ideas suggested include outdoor food markets, seasonal and festive events, al fresco dining space, landscaping and a children’s play area.
An exhibition to see proposed designs and take soundings is being held before contractors get going on the town hall scheme over the coming months.
You may also want to watch:
“This is a public space in a busy and dense part of London,” the council’s corporate director Ann Sutcliffe said. “So it’s important we have input from people who will use it.”
The Whitechapel masterplan includes retail, commercial and community uses as well as the civic centre.
- 1 Vigil for June Harvey one year on from Bow crane tragedy
- 2 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 3 'Vexatious charges': MP turns on accusers after acquittal in fraud trial
- 4 Home Office pours £1m into tackling drug-related problems in East End
- 5 Mum plans to use Raine's Foundation site for new East Park church school
- 6 Poplar MP acquitted of Tower Hamlets housing fraud
- 7 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 8 Poplar MP tells court: 'I fled home when brother said I was possessed'
- 9 Unlocked rooms created 'radiation exposure risk' at hospital, inspectors report
- 10 Jailed: Cyclist who rode off after fatal collision with 'gentleman', 72
The consultations on what to do with the square are next Thursday at the Royal London Hospital’s Stepney Way entrance foyer from 10am to 2pm and the following Saturday, April 21, at the Whitechapel Idea Store 11am-4pm.