Poplar youth centre puts ‘spotlight’ on its role models to tackle child poverty
- Credit: Poplar Harca
Calls for “strong youth provision” to tackle child poverty and inequality have been made by the East End’s biggest youth service on its fifth anniversary.
The urgency has been highlighted at Poplar's Spotlight flagship youth centre by its director Daniel Rose.
He is calling for "positive role models" for young people to be acknowledged as key to tackling poverty.
"East London is an inspirational place for them to live," he said. "But there are barriers to achieving their full potential."
The centre, run by Poplar Harca regeneration organisation, arranges creative activities which have attracted 10,000 youngsters since 2014, in the face of the East End's highest child poverty rate in the country.
You may also want to watch:
The fifth anniversary was led by youth workers including Dizzee Rascal's hype man Aaron Williams, who said: "Spotlight lets young people use their voice in light of the negative stories that dominate the media about youth."
The centre at Langdon Park provides a space to explore self-identity and full potential with guidance from professional youth workers.
- 1 Poplar MP tells court: 'I fled home when brother said I was possessed'
- 2 Leyton Orient boss Jackett full of praise for Sotiriou after Magpies win
- 3 Community patrols to stamp out Poplar's street crime
- 4 John McDonnell is character witness for Poplar MP accused of housing fraud
- 5 Fire Brigade deluged with calls for help as floods sweep east London
- 6 Ice cream parlour with 'no added sugar' to open in Canary Wharf
- 7 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 8 Driver demo blocks Uber's Whitechapel HQ in termination appeals dispute
- 9 Leyton Orient still looking to add one or two new signings
- 10 Nine Tower Hamlets secondary schools rated outstanding by Ofsted
The anniversary celebration had performances from IMD Legion dance company and grime artists Diamond, as well as Skye and Edweezy from Spotlight's own record label.