Caretakers on Tower Hamlets council estates sweep up the top housing award
- Credit: THH Homes
Caretakers swept up on Tower Hamlets council estates being named ‘frontline team of the year’ at the national Housing Heroes awards.
Judges praised their care and the way they works in all weathers—not just being there to mop and clean.
The 200 staff at Tower Hamlets Homes, which manages all council estates, are often the first point of call in emergencies for 22,000 households in social housing.
They deal with anything from fires, water leaks and snow clearance.
The award entry had supporting statements including Bethnal Green's Teasdale and Hollybush residents association stating: "The staff put residents first in everything they do, from the caretakers to the people in the office. Nothing is too much for them and we trust them. That's priceless, something you can't buy."
You may also want to watch:
The caretakers work year-round in all weathers, the award judges noted. They keep an eye on vulnerable people on top of their working duties and help new families settle in.
- 1 Man, 19, stabbed in Stepney Green Park
- 2 Refugee fighting £2,850 claim in lettings agency dispute
- 3 Cyclist in critical condition after 'serious collision' in Bow
- 4 Shoppers queue for bread on opening weekend of new Wapping street market
- 5 Jailed: Teenagers who left victim blind in one eye after train stabbing
- 6 Canary Wharf floats idea for new green restaurant on water
- 7 Patient group set up over allegations of 'poor care' at Royal London
- 8 New street market coming to Docklands is Will's passion
- 9 Brick Lane's famous bagel shop launches delivery service
- 10 'Torrent of hate' stalker tweeted pictures of victim on social media