Caretakers on Tower Hamlets council estates sweep up the top housing award
- Credit: THH Homes
Caretakers swept up on Tower Hamlets council estates being named ‘frontline team of the year’ at the national Housing Heroes awards.
Judges praised their care and the way they works in all weathers—not just being there to mop and clean.
The 200 staff at Tower Hamlets Homes, which manages all council estates, are often the first point of call in emergencies for 22,000 households in social housing.
They deal with anything from fires, water leaks and snow clearance.
The award entry had supporting statements including Bethnal Green's Teasdale and Hollybush residents association stating: "The staff put residents first in everything they do, from the caretakers to the people in the office. Nothing is too much for them and we trust them. That's priceless, something you can't buy."
You may also want to watch:
The caretakers work year-round in all weathers, the award judges noted. They keep an eye on vulnerable people on top of their working duties and help new families settle in.
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 Leyton Orient sign Dan Kemp on a permanent deal from West Ham United
- 5 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 6 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 7 Students in rent strike over Queen Mary's campus staying open during Covid emergency
- 8 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 9 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 10 Gun seized after woman tells police she was threatened in Whitechapel