Tower Hamlets civic speaker is ‘for hire’ for odd jobs at £1,000-an-hour
- Credit: Archant
Uddin Ahmed is normally battling to keep order at the Town Hall as official Civic Speaker of his local authority in London’s East End.
But now the man whose job is to chair Tower Hamlets’ council meetings and keep things calm, especially if they get a bit rowdy, is offering to do some ‘work experience’ in his full Civic Speaker’s regalia.
He will turn up to any East End company for an hour in return for £1,000 donation to his speaker’s charity fund.
“Let me know if you need some filing done and phones answering,” he says. “I will be there with my cloak and chain!”
Cllr Ahmed is hoping businesses take up the offer to raise funds for his good causes. The first hour of sponsored work has already taken place at Canary Wharf Group’s flagship One Canada Square tower on the front desk welcoming visitors on Tuesday.
You may also want to watch:
His chosen charities for his year in office are Friends of Tower Hamlets Cemetery Park, Soul FC youth project, British Bangladesh Power and Inspiration Foundation and Apasen charity for people with learning and multiple disabilities.
- 1 Jailed: drug dealer who rammed police with stolen car to escape
- 2 East End pays tribute to Prince Philip
- 3 Housing protest at Shadwell's Watney Market over service charges hike
- 4 Boxpark reopening in Shoreditch with face masks and Covid hygiene measures
- 5 'Torrent of hate' stalker tweeted pictures of victim on social media
- 6 Jailed: Smash-and-grab perfume raiders get 18 years between them
- 7 Fire crews fight blaze in railway arch in Bow
- 8 Pictures: Remembering Prince Philip's visits to east London
- 9 Woman from Limehouse charged after Kill the Bill protest
- 10 New street market coming to Docklands is Will's passion