Tower Hamlets civic speaker is ‘for hire’ for odd jobs at £1,000-an-hour
- Credit: Archant
Uddin Ahmed is normally battling to keep order at the Town Hall as official Civic Speaker of his local authority in London’s East End.
But now the man whose job is to chair Tower Hamlets’ council meetings and keep things calm, especially if they get a bit rowdy, is offering to do some ‘work experience’ in his full Civic Speaker’s regalia.
He will turn up to any East End company for an hour in return for £1,000 donation to his speaker’s charity fund.
“Let me know if you need some filing done and phones answering,” he says. “I will be there with my cloak and chain!”
Cllr Ahmed is hoping businesses take up the offer to raise funds for his good causes. The first hour of sponsored work has already taken place at Canary Wharf Group’s flagship One Canada Square tower on the front desk welcoming visitors on Tuesday.
You may also want to watch:
His chosen charities for his year in office are Friends of Tower Hamlets Cemetery Park, Soul FC youth project, British Bangladesh Power and Inspiration Foundation and Apasen charity for people with learning and multiple disabilities.
- 1 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 2 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 3 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 4 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 5 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 6 'We need laptops for lockdown children to learn from home’ Tower Hamlets mayor urges
- 7 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 8 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 9 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom