Tower Hamlets civic speaker is ‘for hire’ for odd jobs at £1,000-an-hour
- Credit: Archant
Uddin Ahmed is normally battling to keep order at the Town Hall as official Civic Speaker of his local authority in London’s East End.
But now the man whose job is to chair Tower Hamlets’ council meetings and keep things calm, especially if they get a bit rowdy, is offering to do some ‘work experience’ in his full Civic Speaker’s regalia.
He will turn up to any East End company for an hour in return for £1,000 donation to his speaker’s charity fund.
“Let me know if you need some filing done and phones answering,” he says. “I will be there with my cloak and chain!”
Cllr Ahmed is hoping businesses take up the offer to raise funds for his good causes. The first hour of sponsored work has already taken place at Canary Wharf Group’s flagship One Canada Square tower on the front desk welcoming visitors on Tuesday.
His chosen charities for his year in office are Friends of Tower Hamlets Cemetery Park, Soul FC youth project, British Bangladesh Power and Inspiration Foundation and Apasen charity for people with learning and multiple disabilities.
- 1 Work begins on £300m Chrisp Street Market redevelopment
- 2 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
- 3 Traffic slow moving in Limehouse and Poplar due to burst water main
- 4 Liveable Streets: Councillors remove some Brick Lane closures after 'backlash'
- 5 Council houses named after Matchgirls Strike leader
- 6 Housing association apologises after sewage leaks at Isle of Dogs tower blocks
- 7 Man jailed for rape after attacking woman walking back from Canning Town
- 8 Single van racks up £36k of fines in Tower Hamlets
- 9 Plans to cut up to 600 Tube station jobs amid TfL 'funding crisis'
- 10 County lines drug dealer jailed