Thousands of East End voters join 5.7m to sign Article 50 petition to stop Brexit
- Credit: Mike Brooke
More than 40,000 voters across Tower Hamlets’ two parliamentary constituencies have joined the 5.7 million throughout the UK who’ve signed a petition to Parliament demanding Article 50 to quit the EU be revoked.
Almost 23,400 signed in the Bethnal Green and Bow constituency by lunchtime Tuesday, with another 20,300 in neighbouring Poplar and Limehouse, adding their names to demands for a People’s Vote on any final Brexit deal.
The online petition actually calls on the government to revoke Article 50 after Theresa May claimed quitting Europe was “the will of the people”.
The online petition actually calls on the government to revoke Article 50 and remain in the EU after Theresa May claimed quitting was “the will of the people”.
MPs argue that “the will of the people” has turned since 2016 with a national change of mood, now the effects of quitting Europe are known.
You may also want to watch:
The petition has the highest sign-up rate on record. The national tally reached 5,724,948 by 2pm today (Tues) and rising.
An extension to the Brexit deadline could continue for months, which would mean Britain taking part in the European Parliament elections in May with its four-year term!
- 1 Isle of Dogs man who murdered teenager at Crossharbour DLR sentenced to 27 years
- 2 Man charged after triple stabbing on night bus in Mile End
- 3 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
- 4 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 5 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 6 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 7 Ruel Sotiriou has a big role to play for Leyton Orient says boss Jackett
- 8 Man found stabbed on board night bus
- 9 'Ballet at its absolute best' coming to Canary Wharf this weekend
- 10 Kitchen blaze sees warning issued over 'strange noises' from appliances