Thousands of East End voters join 5.7m to sign Article 50 petition to stop Brexit
- Credit: Mike Brooke
More than 40,000 voters across Tower Hamlets’ two parliamentary constituencies have joined the 5.7 million throughout the UK who’ve signed a petition to Parliament demanding Article 50 to quit the EU be revoked.
Almost 23,400 signed in the Bethnal Green and Bow constituency by lunchtime Tuesday, with another 20,300 in neighbouring Poplar and Limehouse, adding their names to demands for a People’s Vote on any final Brexit deal.
The online petition actually calls on the government to revoke Article 50 after Theresa May claimed quitting Europe was “the will of the people”.
The online petition actually calls on the government to revoke Article 50 and remain in the EU after Theresa May claimed quitting was “the will of the people”.
MPs argue that “the will of the people” has turned since 2016 with a national change of mood, now the effects of quitting Europe are known.
You may also want to watch:
The petition has the highest sign-up rate on record. The national tally reached 5,724,948 by 2pm today (Tues) and rising.
An extension to the Brexit deadline could continue for months, which would mean Britain taking part in the European Parliament elections in May with its four-year term!
- 1 Jailed: drug dealer who rammed police with stolen car to escape
- 2 East End pays tribute to Prince Philip
- 3 Housing protest at Shadwell's Watney Market over service charges hike
- 4 Boxpark reopening in Shoreditch with face masks and Covid hygiene measures
- 5 Woman from Limehouse charged after Kill the Bill protest
- 6 Pictures: Remembering Prince Philip's visits to east London
- 7 Fire crews fight blaze in railway arch in Bow
- 8 'Torrent of hate' stalker tweeted pictures of victim on social media
- 9 New street market coming to Docklands is Will's passion
- 10 Jailed: Smash-and-grab perfume raiders get 18 years between them