Tower Hamlets Council elects new speaker
- Credit: Archant
The new speaker of Tower Hamlets Council was elected at its annual meeting last night.
Labour’s Cllr Lesley Pavitt was elected to the role with cross-party support, having served as deputy to outgoing speaker Cllr Rajib Ahmed during the past year.
Accepting the role, which involves chairing full council meetings, the councillor for Bethnal Green South said: “This is a real honour.
“My first role is controlling what happens in this chamber – and sometimes it’s not a pretty site. Let’s try to have a bit more discipline this year.”
During the year she will hold the role – which is equivalent to a ceremonial mayor – she will raise money for two charities.
You may also want to watch:
The first is Magic Me, which is based in Bethnal Green and which aims to bring people from different generations together to pursue “creative activity”
She will also be raising money for homelessness charity Cardboard Citizens, which aims to help people without a roof over their heads using theatre and performing arts.
- 1 Police officer sacked after criminal conviction
- 2 Man who stabbed teen at Crossharbour station found guilty of murder
- 3 Man in 30s dies after Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 4 Police patrols to increase after fatal Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 5 Concern growing for man last seen at Bow Road station
- 6 Sadiq Khan warns of flood threat in east London from climate emergency
- 7 Things to do: Explore east London this weekend
- 8 Contractors host Macmillan Coffee Morning before Stepney restorations begin
- 9 Jailed: Tower Hamlets man who tried to rape another man
- 10 Rape victim speaks out as Met Police relaunch Ask for Angela scheme
Outgoing speaker Cllr Rajib Ahmed, also form the council’s Labour group, said he had raised around £22,500 for his chosen charities – including Spitalfields poverty relief charity Toynbee Hall - during his year in the chair.
“I have had a very busy but rewarding year – one that I will always remember”, he said.
“I wish Cllr Pavitt the very best of luck for the year ahead”.