Comedy star Rosie Wilby heads talks about ‘Tomboy’ in Tower Hamlets rally against hate crime
- Credit: Mike Brooke
Comedienne and broadcaster Rosie Wilby is leading a pubic discussion on the film Tomboy as one of several events this week tackling hate crime in the East End, with backing from Tower Hamlets Council.
The events lead up to Friday's 'international day against homophobia and transphobia' with an evening rally at Poplar Union community centre to remember victims of all forms of hate crimes.
"These events are to show solidarity," Mayor John Biggs said. "Our greatest strength is how we support each other when a part of our community faces threats or abuse."
Rosie Wilby, who has appeared on Radio 4, at the Comedy Store, the Sydney Mardi Gras and the Latitude Festival, opens the discussion on Tomboy on Thursday at 7pm at Poplar Union in Cotall Street, off Burdette Road, with members of several anti-discrimination organisations.
Her discussion follows a public conference the day before on 'hatred hurts all' and how to tackle hate crime, being held in Mile End at 1pm on Wednesday at Tower Hamlets History Library and Archives in Bancroft Road.
You may also want to watch:
The council's cabinet member for safety and equalities, Asma Begum, said: "This is important to show support to those facing discrimination and hate, which remains a priority for the council."
Events are free and open to the public, organised by the East London 'Out' project which supports services to LGBT communities.
- 1 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
- 2 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 3 Two hospitalised as 60 firefighters tackle blaze in Stratford
- 4 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 5 Why some families can't leave Bow's 'dangerous structure' tower block
- 6 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 7 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 8 Tower hamlets killing: £20,000 reward offered as two men sought for queries
- 9 Prison sentence increased for 'violent and dangerous' man
- 10 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week