Tower Hamlets Council’s faith building grants launch event postponed
An event for the launch of the second round of grants for religious organisations had to be postponed after only a small number of groups were able to attend.
Tower Hamlets Council had announced plans to stage an event at All Saints Church in Stepney High Street today to mark the second round of grants for improvements to the borough’s faith buildings.
But a spokeswoman said only “a couple” of groups responded to invites sent out before the launch, prompting its cancellation.
Short notice of the event may have been to blame, she added.
A £2million cash pot was announced last year for improvements to places of worship. The first £595,000 was allocated to 43 organisations earlier this year – with Muslim groups receiving twice as much money as those representing any other religion.
A further £1.3m is up for grabs when the second round of funding is eventually launched.
- 1 East London man charged with six terrorism offences
- 2 Nine rescue pets looking for homes this Christmas in east London
- 3 What are the chances of a white Christmas in London?
- 4 Man masturbates on Central line train in front of two women
- 5 Boxpark reveals plans for Shoreditch rooftop garden
- 6 County lines drug dealer jailed
- 7 Trio accused of Bow Lock murder were 'associates' of victim 'Aqil' Mahdi
- 8 Shoreditch Park Academy officially opens its doors
- 9 Collision causes traffic delays on A13 near Canning Town
- 10 Covid-19: How the situation in Tower Hamlets compares to this time last year