Tower Hamlets Council’s faith building grants launch event postponed
An event for the launch of the second round of grants for religious organisations had to be postponed after only a small number of groups were able to attend.
Tower Hamlets Council had announced plans to stage an event at All Saints Church in Stepney High Street today to mark the second round of grants for improvements to the borough’s faith buildings.
But a spokeswoman said only “a couple” of groups responded to invites sent out before the launch, prompting its cancellation.
Short notice of the event may have been to blame, she added.
A £2million cash pot was announced last year for improvements to places of worship. The first £595,000 was allocated to 43 organisations earlier this year – with Muslim groups receiving twice as much money as those representing any other religion.
You may also want to watch:
A further £1.3m is up for grabs when the second round of funding is eventually launched.
- 1 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 2 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 3 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 4 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 5 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 6 'We need laptops for lockdown children to learn from home’ Tower Hamlets mayor urges
- 7 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 8 Have you seen this 52-year-old man missing from Ilford?
- 9 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff