Tower Hamlets Labour Group settles on new hierarchy
- Credit: Archant
Labour Party members have elected a new group leader to represent them on Tower Hamlets Council.
Cllr Sirajul Islam was chosen at the Party’s AGM last night to take over from outgoing Labour group leader Cllr Joshua Peck, who is adopting a child.
Cllr Islam will work with Labour’s Mayoral candidate John Biggs, who is a London Assembly Member and cannot therefore lead the group in the council chamber.
He said: “As we move towards next year’s mayoral and council elections it is more important than ever to have a strong Labour voice standing up for residents and speaking for all the communities in our borough. That is what our new Labour team will be focused on.”
Cllr Rachael Saunders was chosen as deputy leader after a strong showing in the internal election to choose a mayoral candidate, when she was narrowly beaten by Mr Biggs.
You may also want to watch:
Outgoing leader Cllr Peck will continue in his role as councillor for Bow West on the back benches. He congratulated Cllr Islam on his election.
- 1 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
- 2 Why some families can't leave Bow's 'dangerous structure' tower block
- 3 Two hospitalised as 60 firefighters tackle blaze in Stratford
- 4 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 5 Trees planted to remember people who died of Covid in the East End
- 6 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 7 Fast food! Lewis Hamilton-backed chain opening east London branches
- 8 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 9 O's will need a much improved display against leaders Forest Green
- 10 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020