Tower Hamlets Labour Group settles on new hierarchy
- Credit: Archant
Labour Party members have elected a new group leader to represent them on Tower Hamlets Council.
Cllr Sirajul Islam was chosen at the Party’s AGM last night to take over from outgoing Labour group leader Cllr Joshua Peck, who is adopting a child.
Cllr Islam will work with Labour’s Mayoral candidate John Biggs, who is a London Assembly Member and cannot therefore lead the group in the council chamber.
He said: “As we move towards next year’s mayoral and council elections it is more important than ever to have a strong Labour voice standing up for residents and speaking for all the communities in our borough. That is what our new Labour team will be focused on.”
Cllr Rachael Saunders was chosen as deputy leader after a strong showing in the internal election to choose a mayoral candidate, when she was narrowly beaten by Mr Biggs.
You may also want to watch:
Outgoing leader Cllr Peck will continue in his role as councillor for Bow West on the back benches. He congratulated Cllr Islam on his election.
- 1 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 2 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 3 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 5 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 6 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 7 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
- 8 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
- 9 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 10 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family