Tower Hamlets Labour Group settles on new hierarchy
- Credit: Archant
Labour Party members have elected a new group leader to represent them on Tower Hamlets Council.
Cllr Sirajul Islam was chosen at the Party’s AGM last night to take over from outgoing Labour group leader Cllr Joshua Peck, who is adopting a child.
Cllr Islam will work with Labour’s Mayoral candidate John Biggs, who is a London Assembly Member and cannot therefore lead the group in the council chamber.
He said: “As we move towards next year’s mayoral and council elections it is more important than ever to have a strong Labour voice standing up for residents and speaking for all the communities in our borough. That is what our new Labour team will be focused on.”
Cllr Rachael Saunders was chosen as deputy leader after a strong showing in the internal election to choose a mayoral candidate, when she was narrowly beaten by Mr Biggs.
You may also want to watch:
Outgoing leader Cllr Peck will continue in his role as councillor for Bow West on the back benches. He congratulated Cllr Islam on his election.
- 1 Patient group set up over allegations of 'poor care' at Royal London
- 2 Brick Lane's famous bagel shop launches delivery service
- 3 Jailed: Teenagers who left victim blind in one eye after train stabbing
- 4 Canary Wharf floats idea for new green restaurant on water
- 5 MPs pledge to fight on for 'forgotten victims' of IRA Canary Wharf bombing
- 6 Updated appeal for information about man last seen in Poplar in January
- 7 Fire crews fight blaze at pub in Hackney Wick
- 8 New street market coming to Docklands is Will's passion
- 9 Jailed: drug dealer who rammed police with stolen car to escape
- 10 Mother and son taken to hospital during "severe" fire in Bow