Tower Hamlets Labour stages hustings in battle to win Mayoral nomination
Hopefuls battling it out to win Labour’s nomination to take on Mayor of Tower Hamlets Lutfur Rahman shared a platform at a debate on Tuesday.
Cllrs Rachael Saunders, Helal Abbas, Sirajul Islam, and London Assembly Member John Biggs tackled issues including how best to get local people into work and promoting equality in the borough.
The hustings were held in front of Labour Party members at Queen Mary, University of London in Mile End.
Two further debates are due to take place before the chosen candidate is announced on April 6, when current Labour group leader Cllr Joshua Peck will stand down.
Members of Tower Hamlets Council’s Labour group have been pinning their colours to the mast, with Cllr Marc Francis the latest to join the group including outgoing Labour leader Cllr Joshua Peck backing John Biggs.
You may also want to watch:
Current deputy leader Cllr Motin Uz-Zaman and Cllr Mizan Chaudhury joined those supporting Cllr Rachael Saunders’ candidacy.
- 1 Tower Hamlets stages Covid jab festival
- 2 Tyrese Omotoye impresses on O's trial as Ouss Cisse looks set to depart
- 3 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 4 Midfielder Ouss Cisse confirms Leyton Orient departure
- 5 From Shoreditch to Las Vegas: New bingo hall for Hackney
- 6 Campaigners oppose plans to change voting system for Tower Hamlets mayor
- 7 Tube strike suspended to allow for further talks
- 8 'Vexatious charges': MP turns on accusers after acquittal in fraud trial
- 9 Vigil for June Harvey one year on from Bow crane tragedy
- 10 Leyton Orient boss Kenny Jackett pleased with pre-season preparations