Tower Hamlets Labour stages hustings in battle to win Mayoral nomination
Hopefuls battling it out to win Labour’s nomination to take on Mayor of Tower Hamlets Lutfur Rahman shared a platform at a debate on Tuesday.
Cllrs Rachael Saunders, Helal Abbas, Sirajul Islam, and London Assembly Member John Biggs tackled issues including how best to get local people into work and promoting equality in the borough.
The hustings were held in front of Labour Party members at Queen Mary, University of London in Mile End.
Two further debates are due to take place before the chosen candidate is announced on April 6, when current Labour group leader Cllr Joshua Peck will stand down.
Members of Tower Hamlets Council’s Labour group have been pinning their colours to the mast, with Cllr Marc Francis the latest to join the group including outgoing Labour leader Cllr Joshua Peck backing John Biggs.
Current deputy leader Cllr Motin Uz-Zaman and Cllr Mizan Chaudhury joined those supporting Cllr Rachael Saunders’ candidacy.
- 1 Traffic slow moving in Limehouse and Poplar due to burst water main
- 2 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
- 3 Single van racks up £36k of fines in Tower Hamlets
- 4 Man jailed for rape after attacking woman walking back from Canning Town
- 5 Liveable Streets: Councillors remove some Brick Lane closures after 'backlash'
- 6 Housing association apologises after sewage leaks at Isle of Dogs tower blocks
- 7 Possible travel disruptions for central London this week
- 8 County lines drug dealer jailed
- 9 Trio accused of Bow Lock murder were 'associates' of victim 'Aqil' Mahdi
- 10 Here are the new Covid travel rules which begin today