Tower Hamlets Labour stages hustings in battle to win Mayoral nomination
Hopefuls battling it out to win Labour’s nomination to take on Mayor of Tower Hamlets Lutfur Rahman shared a platform at a debate on Tuesday.
Cllrs Rachael Saunders, Helal Abbas, Sirajul Islam, and London Assembly Member John Biggs tackled issues including how best to get local people into work and promoting equality in the borough.
The hustings were held in front of Labour Party members at Queen Mary, University of London in Mile End.
Two further debates are due to take place before the chosen candidate is announced on April 6, when current Labour group leader Cllr Joshua Peck will stand down.
Members of Tower Hamlets Council’s Labour group have been pinning their colours to the mast, with Cllr Marc Francis the latest to join the group including outgoing Labour leader Cllr Joshua Peck backing John Biggs.
You may also want to watch:
Current deputy leader Cllr Motin Uz-Zaman and Cllr Mizan Chaudhury joined those supporting Cllr Rachael Saunders’ candidacy.
- 1 Man, 19, stabbed in Stepney Green Park
- 2 Refugee fighting £2,850 claim in lettings agency dispute
- 3 Cyclist in critical condition after 'serious collision' in Bow
- 4 Shoppers queue for bread on opening weekend of new Wapping street market
- 5 Jailed: Teenagers who left victim blind in one eye after train stabbing
- 6 Canary Wharf floats idea for new green restaurant on water
- 7 Shops reopening after lockdown now fear council rent hikes
- 8 Leyton Orient still not at the level top sides are says boss Jobi McAnuff
- 9 Volunteers take food for Ramadan to neighbours on Isle of Dogs
- 10 'Hold still while I ink your portrait for Captain Tom challenge'