Tower Hamlets library staff made to reapply for own jobs
AS POET Benjamin Zephaniah declares that the libraries of Tower Hamlets saved his life by helping him with his studies, staff at Tower Hamlets Idea Stores have been re-interviewed for their jobs.
Some 23 employees were put on the ‘displaced’ list and it is believed that the grade of the post was increased and they were told they no longer qualified for the role but were on the list to be redeployed to other jobs.
Library users fear that the service could be a soft target in the forthcoming cuts and across the capital the Libraries for Life for Londoners campaign is gearing up to fight any cuts.
The head of the council’s eight Idea Stores and libraries Judith St John said: “The council is committed to ensuring residents receive an excellent service across our Idea Stores. Even in the tough financial climate, we are one of a few local authorities who are investing in libraries with the development of Idea Store Watney Market.
“The council has no plans to close any libraries currently in use or to reduce library hours, but will seek to make savings through efficiencies that do not impact on the service”
You may also want to watch:
Peter Golds, the Conservative spokesman for culture said: “It’s damaging community links. There’s no doubt the staff know people and know the local places. They are very much part of the local communities.”
He said the council should abandon its plans for another Idea Store at Watney Market as a way of making efficiencies.
- 1 Man, 19, stabbed in Stepney Green Park
- 2 Refugee fighting £2,850 claim in lettings agency dispute
- 3 Cyclist in critical condition after 'serious collision' in Bow
- 4 Shoppers queue for bread on opening weekend of new Wapping street market
- 5 Jailed: Teenagers who left victim blind in one eye after train stabbing
- 6 Canary Wharf floats idea for new green restaurant on water
- 7 Shops reopening after lockdown now fear council rent hikes
- 8 Leyton Orient still not at the level top sides are says boss Jobi McAnuff
- 9 Volunteers take food for Ramadan to neighbours on Isle of Dogs
- 10 'Hold still while I ink your portrait for Captain Tom challenge'