Tower Hamlets mayor dishing out �2m to revamp houses of worship
Religious congregations are now being urged to apply for Town Hall cash to improve some of the 90 houses of worship in London’s East End.
Tower Hamlets mayor Lutfur Rahman is putting aside nearly �2 million to repair, adapt or make buildings such as mosques, churches or synagogues more eco-friendly or accessible.
Grants up to �300,000 can now be applied for under the council’s ‘One Tower Hamlets’ agenda aimed at “celebrating diversity and promoting equal opportunities.”
Mayor Rahman said: “This will support social cohesion by improving the fabric of faith buildings in these difficult times. Faith plays a prominent role in the lives of most residents, with the last population census showing 80 per cent have a religious belief.”
The cash is being made available with the launch of his ‘Faith Buildings’ support scheme over the next two years up to April, 2014—just before the next elections for mayor—when groups including voluntary or community organisations can apply for grants towards repairing, adapting or improving their buildings.
You may also want to watch:
Organisations that need help with applications can also ask for up to �10,000 for professional support. They have until 5pm next Tuesday (Nov 20), to submit applications, with most decisions likely by the end of the year.
- 1 Whitechapel murder victim named as teenager charged with killing
- 2 'Grenfell Tower'-type cladding still not removed from New Providence Wharf after 3 years
- 3 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 4 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 5 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 6 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 7 'It must be urgently addressed': New research into BAME Covid impact
- 8 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 9 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 10 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green