Tower Hamlets Mayor faces public on issues from yobs to the new Whitechapel
- Credit: Archant
The new mayor of one of London’s toughest areas is putting himself in the hot seat to face the public. Tower Hamlets mayor John Biggs is inviting East Enders to meet him at Whitechapel’s Idea Store public library centre.
The “people’s forum” on January 21 is to highlight controversial issues including street yobs and bad housing, as well as the future of the new Whitechapel town centre now on the drawing board.
“I promised I would be accountable to the people of the East End when I was elected,” he said.
“So now I would urge people to meet me at these events so that we can work together to make Tower Hamlets the best it can be.”
It is the first in a series of Mayoral People’s Assemblies he plans which aims to give him and his senior Town Hall officers the task of meeting the public face-to-face on community issues and to “resolve them where possible”.
Issues at the first assembly include Whitechapel’s Masterplan and investment in the area, tackling anti-social behaviour, housing and employment, business and the local economy.
Anyone who can’t get to the Assembly on January 21 who wants to raise questions or concerns with the mayor can call 020-7364 4985, or drop him an email at email@example.com.
- 1 East London boroughs lag behind rest of country for Covid booster uptake
- 2 Ranjith Kankanamalage death: Man charged with murder
- 3 Jailed: Man who robbed and blackmailed men he met on Grindr
- 4 Councillor says he 'hopes to lose' next election
- 5 Travel disruptions: Hackney, Islington, Tower Hamlets, Newham
- 6 Gun found in car as Met makes 130 arrests during drugs op
- 7 Jailed: Rapist who repeatedly attacked woman in her own home
- 8 Lib Dem candidate for Tower Hamlets mayor announced
- 9 Olympian burglary: Men with links to Plaistow and Isle of Dogs wanted
- 10 ‘Manhattanisation’ of Isle of Dogs concerns residents
The assembly runs 7.30 to 9pm at the Whitechapel Ideas Store in Whitechapel Road.