Meeting about combating racism to be held at East London Mosque
- Credit: Archant
A public meeting has been organised to talk about ways of combating racism in mainstream politics.
An open forum entitled Combat the Racist Right: Defend EU Migrants is on Tuesday, October 29 at 7.30pm at The London Muslim Centre, Whitechapel Road.
Sheila McGregor from campaign group Tower Hamlets Stand up to Racism (SUTR), said: "There has been a big increase in racist comments and statements from mainstream politicians.
"Politics is becoming more polarised and racism strengthened. Muslims, EU migrants and others are constant targets of racist abuse.
"Whether people voted leave or remain, we need to come together to discuss how we can combat this development in British politics."
You may also want to watch:
The call for unity follows a SUTR statement published last month which was signed by shadow home secretary, Diane Abbott and Unmesh Desai, east London's Greater London Assembly member.
It called on the government to provide "real guarantees" EU nationals living in Britain won't be affected in the event of a no deal Brexit.
- 1 East London's 10 prettiest streets to visit
- 2 Brigade issues fire safety warning after Limehouse studio blaze
- 3 Man who stabbed teen at Crossharbour station found guilty of murder
- 4 Khalid Ali couldn't hide delight after winning start against Dean Wilkinson
- 5 Police officer sacked after criminal conviction
- 6 Man in 30s dies after Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 7 Jailed: Tower Hamlets man who tried to rape another man
- 8 Concern growing for man last seen at Bow Road station
- 9 Three places to go pumpkin picking near east London
- 10 Sentencing of arms dealers set for one year after Isle of Dogs raid
The meeting is due to include an introduction by SUTR joint national secretary, Weyman Bennett.