Tower Hamlets Tories slam Mayor’s “obscene” spending plans
Opposition councillors accused Mayor of Tower Hamlets Lutfur Rahman of “obscene” spending plans at last night’s budget meeting.
Forwarding the Conservative Group’s alternative budget, Cllr David Snowdon said the proposals were “fiscally negligent” and accused Mayor Rahman of wasting money on “propaganda and vanity offices”.
“There is one simple word for the Mayor’s obscene spending: ‘wrong’”, he said.
“Council tax funds do not exist to pay for propaganda and vanity offices. It exists to provide services to local residents and local council tax payers.”
Cllr Snowden went on to attack the Mayor for spending £70 per day on a hired chauffeur-driven Mercedes.
You may also want to watch:
“One element of spending I am proposing is £1,424 to buy the Mayor a zones 1-3 travel card, so that he can travel in the same manner as most Londoners”, he added.
Conservative councillors voted with Labour members for an amended version of the budget.
- 1 Man, 20, found fighting for life at illegal rave in Bow
- 2 Fire breaks out in flat near New Providence Wharf tower block
- 3 Leyton Orient confident next manager will take them to the next level
- 4 Groomed girl speaks out after 'dangerous' Barking dealer who dealt Class A drugs in East End is jailed
- 5 Battle lost to save historic Whitechapel bell foundry
- 6 Trains being tested on Crossrail's Elizabeth line up to four an hour
- 7 Dog festival gets go-ahead for Isle of Dogs, of all places
- 8 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 9 South Africa and Indian Covid variants found in Shoreditch and Dalston
- 10 Indian variant of Covid-19 - what's the situation in London?
The amendment will be considered by Mayor Rahman this week, before both his original budget and the amended version are voted on at an emergency meeting next week.