Tower Hamlets Tories slam Mayor’s “obscene” spending plans
Opposition councillors accused Mayor of Tower Hamlets Lutfur Rahman of “obscene” spending plans at last night’s budget meeting.
Forwarding the Conservative Group’s alternative budget, Cllr David Snowdon said the proposals were “fiscally negligent” and accused Mayor Rahman of wasting money on “propaganda and vanity offices”.
“There is one simple word for the Mayor’s obscene spending: ‘wrong’”, he said.
“Council tax funds do not exist to pay for propaganda and vanity offices. It exists to provide services to local residents and local council tax payers.”
Cllr Snowden went on to attack the Mayor for spending £70 per day on a hired chauffeur-driven Mercedes.
You may also want to watch:
“One element of spending I am proposing is £1,424 to buy the Mayor a zones 1-3 travel card, so that he can travel in the same manner as most Londoners”, he added.
Conservative councillors voted with Labour members for an amended version of the budget.
- 1 Why TfL won't restart the night tube on Jubilee line just yet
- 2 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
- 3 Police officers save lives in two sperate emergencies on same shift
- 4 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 5 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 6 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 7 Isle of Dogs man who murdered teenager at Crossharbour DLR sentenced to 27 years
- 8 Man charged after triple stabbing on night bus in Mile End
- 9 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 10 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
The amendment will be considered by Mayor Rahman this week, before both his original budget and the amended version are voted on at an emergency meeting next week.