Website for East End’s dumped mattresses gets 50 hits—so far
A website set up to report mattresses dumped on the streets of London’s East End has had more than 50 hits in its first month.
The website was started by Tower Hamlets Opposition councillors to map the ‘blight’ across the East End and put pressure on the independent mayor not to bring in bulk waste collection charges.
Labour backbenchers won a vote for a feasibility study to introduce a free mattress recycling service instead, following a similar move by Lewisham Council which collects and recycles 9,000 mattresses each year.
But today they claimed they’ve had no response from the Town Hall administration to take up the idea.
Labour’s Environment spokesperson Shiria Khatun said: “We proposed a simple solution to the dumped mattresses that blight our streets and are a health risk—yet we’ve had no response from the Mayor.”
You may also want to watch:
The councillors have been campaigning against charges introduced earlier this year for bulk waste collection and pest treatment and against cleansing rounds being slashed.
The website to report dumped mattresses is: www.TowerHamletsMattressCount.com
- 1 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
- 2 Why some families can't leave Bow's 'dangerous structure' tower block
- 3 Two hospitalised as 60 firefighters tackle blaze in Stratford
- 4 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 5 Trees planted to remember people who died of Covid in the East End
- 6 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 7 Fast food! Lewis Hamilton-backed chain opening east London branches
- 8 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 9 O's will need a much improved display against leaders Forest Green
- 10 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020