Witness appeal after cyclist is critically injured in Hackney Road tipper lorry collision
Police are appealing for witnesses to a road accident in East London yesterday when a cyclist was seriously injured in a collision with a tipper lorry.
The cyclist, in his 40s, is in a critical condition in hospital following the collision during the morning rush-hour in Hackney Road, Bethnal Green, at the busy junction with Pritchard’s Road.
The lorry did not stop at the scene, Scotland Yard confirmed, but has since been traced. The driver has been arrested in connection with the investigation and given police bail pending further enquiries.
Det Con Nick Burt said: “This collision was in the middle of the morning rush hour—so there would have been numerous people in Hackney Road and Pritchard’s Road who may have seen it.”
Families on Bethnal Green’s Minerva Estate nearby have been concerned for several months about safety at the junction, where Hackney Road crosses Pritchard’s Road and Temple Street, and have been calling for measures from Tower Hamlets council.
You may also want to watch:
Retired BT engineer Fred Hunt told the Advertiser: “I know of at least five accidents in as many months.
“They widened Pritchard’s Row two years ago—this is when the danger started, because they moved the pedestrian crossing which means traffic coming onto Hackney Road from the side gets blocked and can’t go straight ahead or turn right.”
- 1 'Stop building more towers,' MP at protest after New Providence Wharf fire
- 2 Racist vandalism keyed on cars parked in street on Isle of Dogs
- 3 Leyton Orient have announced their retained list as they begin rebuild
- 4 Groomed girl speaks out after 'dangerous' Barking dealer who dealt Class A drugs in East End is jailed
- 5 Tower Hamlets votes to keep directly-elected mayoral post
- 6 'Halt to development draining services' after win for neighbourhood plan
- 7 MP's fury at four-year delay removing Grenfell-type cladding from block
- 8 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 9 Blaze at Canary Wharf tower block with cladding issue
- 10 Unmesh Desai on his priorities after winning City and East election
The families raised the issue at a Tower Hamlets Community Housing forum in March.
Meanwhile, witnesses who may have seen yesterday’s collision at 8.30am outside the Days Inn Hotel are being urged to contact Met Police investigation unit on 020-8597 4874. The cyclist is in a critical condition.