Worst pollution across east London follows the A13, City Hall admits
Some of the worst polluted roads in the capital are in east London, especially along the busy A13 truck route, data released by City Hall reveals today.
Now London Assembly members are calling on Boris Johnson to take measures to reduce traffic by lowering fares on public transport to entice motorists off the roads.
The pollution is breaching EU regulations and won’t meet standards for another 12 years, the Clean Air Campaign group warns following its Freedom of Information request to the Mayor.
Topping the list in Tower Hamlets appears to be around the congested Tower Hill, even more polluted than the notorious Blackwall Tunnel Approach, while in neighbouring Newham and Barking & Dagenham the dirtiest stretches are at several locations along the A13 trunk route between Beckton and Dagenham.
London Assembly member Jenny Jones has compiled a map of the ‘top five’ most polluted roads in each London borough.
You may also want to watch:
“We’ve failed to meet EU air quality standards for years and we are set to continue breaching legal limits until 2025,” she warned.
“People in east London can now see for themselves the extent of air pollution on the busiest roads.
- 1 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 2 Nine Tower Hamlets secondary schools rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 3 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 4 MP reported ex-husband to police for alleged 'harassment', trial hears
- 5 East London road and rail disruptions to travel this weekend
- 6 Man arrested following triple stabbing in Isle of Dogs
- 7 Poplar and Limehouse MP's trial on housing fraud charges set to start
- 8 Weather warning in place with east London set for thundery weekend
- 9 No arrests after triple stabbing in Isle of Dogs
- 10 Appeal after man allegedly 'spits at' woman travelling through Whitechapel, West Ham and Barking
“The government and the Mayor have tried to play this problem down, but the impacts on human health can be severe.”
She is calling for measures to reduce traffic such as lower fares to encourage more commuters onto buses and trains and also wants more cycle lanes and electric-driven buses and vans.
Worst pollution in east London includes:
1. A100 Tower Hill
2. A1261 Aspen Way, Poplar
3. A11 Whitechapel High St
4. A12 Blackwall Tunnel Approach
5. A1203 The Highway, Shadwell
1. A406 North Circular Rd, East Ham-Beckton
2. A13 Newham Way, Canning Town-Beckton
3. Jenkins Lane, Beckton, next to the A13
4. Spur Rd, Beckton, by the A13
5. Tollgate Rd, Beckton, off the A13