Gang who broke Royal London surgeon’s arm in violent street robbery are caught on CCTV
- Credit: Archant
A gang of balaclava youths attacked and robbed two men in the street and broke the arm of a Royal London Hospital surgeon while tormenting him with a knife and throwing him to the ground.
But the robberies were caught on CCTV by Tower Hamlets council staff who alerted police.
The youths carried out the robberies within 15 minutes of each other in Shadwell—and were about to commit a third when police pounced.
All five have now appeared in the dock at Snaresbrook Crown Court and been sentenced.
“These five are dangerous individuals who targeted innocent passers-by just for small gain,” Det Con Andrew Bray said after the sentencing.
You may also want to watch:
“These were clearly premeditated attacks by a group who brazenly walked the streets wearing balaclavas and carrying knives at night when they knew the streets would be quiet and they were less likely to be caught.
“But they’ve now faced justice for their actions that night.”
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 5 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 6 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 7 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 8 Leyton Orient boss Embleton expecting more movement in the transfer window
- 9 Leyton Orient seal late victory over Morecambe
- 10 Leyton Orient sign Dan Kemp on a permanent deal from West Ham United
Mohammed Ahmed, Abdul Shubhan and Abdinur Mohammed and two 17-year-olds attacked the 52-year-old surgeon walking home from the Royal London along Varden Street on August 5.
They surrounded him and Ahmed tormented him, asking where to stab him.
The gang then threw him to the ground, breaking his arm before stealing his wallet.
The youths had stopped a 29-year-old man just 15 minutes earlier in Cable Street and demanded cash before running off towards Cornwall Street with his wallet.
Both incidents were caught on CCTV by Tower Hamlets staff who later gave evidence in court.
Tower Hamlets Mayor John Biggs said this week: “This was a premediated and cowardly attack on innocent people making their way home.
“But our CCTV officers were able to help police catch and convict these perpetrators. The cameras are a valuable resource to help keep our streets safe.”
Shubhan and the two 17-year-olds were arrested in nearby Cavell Street at the time.
Ahmed and Mohammed were arrested in the following weeks through intelligence and evidence gathering. They were all was sentenced on November 2.
Ahmed, 19, from Walworth in south London, admitted two robberies and possessing a knife and was given four years and six months in a young offender institution. Shubhan, 18, from Poplar, pleaded guilty to two robberies and was given a 21-month sentence, suspended for two years.
Mohammed, also 18 and from Poplar, admitted one robbery and was given two years and two months in a Young Offender Institution.
A 17-year-old who admitted two robberies and possessing a knife was sentenced to 18 months in a detention facility, while the other 17-year-old who admitted two robberies was given a 12-month referral order.