London 2012: Dizzee Rascal carries Olympic Torch in Tower Hamlets
The Olympic Torch has made its way through Tower Hamlets, and musician Dizzee Rascal was among the torchbearers.
The Flame was taken to Stepney Green Park, and carried onto the stage by torchbearer Tahmina Begum, who was was the winner of the Chelsea Community Sports Award and became the first qualified Bangladeshi female football referee.
Among those who saw the Torch at the park was Sarah Galea, 42, who said: “We got a good glimpse of the torch by the stage. It was lovely to see it. It’s a once-in-a-life time opportunity.”
It was then taken down Whitechapel Road and Commercial Street, passing Brick Lane on the way. Dizzee Rascal carried the Flame on Commercial Street.
The relay is now making its way through Hackney, where it will stop at Clissold Park and then again at Hackney Town Hall, before heading to Waltham Forest.
You may also want to watch:
The final torchbearer will be footballer Fabrice Muamba, who will light the cauldron at the evening celebration in Tower Hamlets.
- 1 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 2 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 3 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 4 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 5 Leyton Orient announce partnership with Hartford Athletic
- 6 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 7 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 8 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 9 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
- 10 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns