London 2012: Royal Navy’s largest ship docks in Greenwich for Olympic security exercise
The Royal Navy’s biggest ship docked in Greenwich today to start of 10 days of exercises ahead of the Olympic and Paralympic Games.
HMS Ocean is an aircraft carrier which will be stationed at Greenwich throughout he games.
During that time it will be home to its 440-strong crew as well as around 400 other military personnel.
Earlier this week it was revealed the military has proposed placing land to air missiles on top of the water tower of the former Bryant and may matchstick factory in Bow Quarter .
Speaking on board the ship during a visit this morning secretary of state for defence Phillip Hammond addressed concerns about the show of military force ahead of the games, including the missiles and the sight of HMS Ocean sailing up the Thames.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “I think Londoners should be assured by this display of this asset we are putting in place to protect them.
“These are assets for their protection and defence.
- 1 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
- 2 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 3 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 4 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 5 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 6 Why some families can't leave Bow's 'dangerous structure' tower block
- 7 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 8 Prison sentence increased for 'violent and dangerous' man
- 9 Tower hamlets killing: £20,000 reward offered as two men sought for queries
- 10 Families start moving out of unsafe tower block in Bow
“There are no specific threats to the Games. I hope if any do emerge I hope the sight of this ship will reassure people we can deal with them.”
The ship will house helicopters belonging to the Navy and to the Army.
It will also provide logistical support to the security operation for the Games, and accommodation for those members of the Armed Forces assisting with the Games.
HMS Ocean will be docked between two buoys in the Thames at Greenwich.