London ale taster of the year’ gets under way in East End battle
A COMPETITION is under way tomorrow for London’s most sought-after job, probably. Judges are looking for a London Ale Taster at Old Spitalfields Market in the East End
A COMPETITION is under way tomorrow for London's most sought-after job, probably.
Judges are looking for a London Ale Taster at Old Spitalfields Market in the East End.
The 'job' was advertised last month and market organisers have been swamped with applicants.
So a panel of experts has 'watered' them down to six shortlisted finalists who are being assessed for the coveted role.
The event at 1pm begins with the contestants challenged with four tough rounds of ale tasting. They'll have to correctly identify unmarked samples of different ales and match them to a list.
In the final round, if they are still standing, the six hopefuls each have to make a one-minute presentation to the judges, without slurring their speech.
- 1 Jailed: 8 east London offenders put behind bars in June
- 2 Police officer sacked for 'turning blind eye’ to criminal husband
- 3 Bow Lock murder defendants blame each other for fatal attack
- 4 Former Tower Hamlets councillor publishes autobiography on life as a hijabi woman
- 5 Three stabbed in Chrisp Street chicken shop
- 6 Woman treated at scene as 40 firefighters called to Bow tower block
- 7 8 charged after drugs raids in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 8 Census 2021 indicates baby boom in one east London borough
- 9 Latest data shows Covid admissions rising again at east London hospitals
- 10 What to see in the sky in July: Year's biggest supermoon and meteor showers
The panel includes well-known names from the industry, including beer writer and historian Pete Brown, master brewer Steve Wellington and TV's 'Beer Doctor' George Philliskirk.
The candidate with the most points will be crowned 'London Ale Taster 2010.' This is planned to become an annual event.
The competition is accompanied by a 'beer market' open to the public between 9am and 3pm, with free samples.