London ale taster of the year’ gets under way in East End battle
A COMPETITION is under way tomorrow for London’s most sought-after job, probably. Judges are looking for a London Ale Taster at Old Spitalfields Market in the East End
A COMPETITION is under way tomorrow for London's most sought-after job, probably.
Judges are looking for a London Ale Taster at Old Spitalfields Market in the East End.
The 'job' was advertised last month and market organisers have been swamped with applicants.
So a panel of experts has 'watered' them down to six shortlisted finalists who are being assessed for the coveted role.
The event at 1pm begins with the contestants challenged with four tough rounds of ale tasting. They'll have to correctly identify unmarked samples of different ales and match them to a list.
In the final round, if they are still standing, the six hopefuls each have to make a one-minute presentation to the judges, without slurring their speech.
- 1 Coroner concerned with Barts NHS trust after woman 'unlawfully killed'
- 2 Jailed: Rapist who repeatedly attacked woman in her own home
- 3 Man arrested over two separate rape allegations - one previously unknown to police
- 4 Lib Dem candidate for Tower Hamlets mayor announced
- 5 Come Dine With Me calls on east London restaurants for new show
- 6 One per cent council tax rise planned with borough set for balanced budget
- 7 Olympian burglary: Men with links to Plaistow and Isle of Dogs wanted
- 8 ‘It is not tolerated’: CCTV images released after West Ham game disorder
- 9 Wanted: Man known to commit offences on train and tube network
- 10 Guilty: East London criminals jailed in December 2021
The panel includes well-known names from the industry, including beer writer and historian Pete Brown, master brewer Steve Wellington and TV's 'Beer Doctor' George Philliskirk.
The candidate with the most points will be crowned 'London Ale Taster 2010.' This is planned to become an annual event.
The competition is accompanied by a 'beer market' open to the public between 9am and 3pm, with free samples.