London ale taster of the year’ gets under way in East End battle
A COMPETITION is under way tomorrow for London’s most sought-after job, probably. Judges are looking for a London Ale Taster at Old Spitalfields Market in the East End
A COMPETITION is under way tomorrow for London's most sought-after job, probably.
Judges are looking for a London Ale Taster at Old Spitalfields Market in the East End.
The 'job' was advertised last month and market organisers have been swamped with applicants.
So a panel of experts has 'watered' them down to six shortlisted finalists who are being assessed for the coveted role.
You may also want to watch:
The event at 1pm begins with the contestants challenged with four tough rounds of ale tasting. They'll have to correctly identify unmarked samples of different ales and match them to a list.
In the final round, if they are still standing, the six hopefuls each have to make a one-minute presentation to the judges, without slurring their speech.
- 1 Man stabbed outside West India Quay DLR station
- 2 Midfielder Ouss Cisse confirms Leyton Orient departure
- 3 Transfer round-up: Leyton Orient bring in eight as departures find new clubs
- 4 Campaigners taking on town hall to keep Isle of Dogs youth club open
- 5 Data reveals house price rises in Olympic boroughs since London 2012
- 6 Tyrese Omotoye impresses on O's trial as Ouss Cisse looks set to depart
- 7 Eggslut food truck to bring 'edible breakfast cloud' to Shoreditch
- 8 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 9 Police chief to be quizzed at East London Mosque
- 10 Somali kitchen in Bethnal Green gets halal help from Amazon staff
The panel includes well-known names from the industry, including beer writer and historian Pete Brown, master brewer Steve Wellington and TV's 'Beer Doctor' George Philliskirk.
The candidate with the most points will be crowned 'London Ale Taster 2010.' This is planned to become an annual event.
The competition is accompanied by a 'beer market' open to the public between 9am and 3pm, with free samples.