London ale taster of the year’ gets under way in East End battle
A COMPETITION is under way tomorrow for London’s most sought-after job, probably. Judges are looking for a London Ale Taster at Old Spitalfields Market in the East End
A COMPETITION is under way tomorrow for London's most sought-after job, probably.
Judges are looking for a London Ale Taster at Old Spitalfields Market in the East End.
The 'job' was advertised last month and market organisers have been swamped with applicants.
So a panel of experts has 'watered' them down to six shortlisted finalists who are being assessed for the coveted role.
You may also want to watch:
The event at 1pm begins with the contestants challenged with four tough rounds of ale tasting. They'll have to correctly identify unmarked samples of different ales and match them to a list.
In the final round, if they are still standing, the six hopefuls each have to make a one-minute presentation to the judges, without slurring their speech.
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 5 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 6 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 7 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 8 Leyton Orient boss Embleton expecting more movement in the transfer window
- 9 Leyton Orient seal late victory over Morecambe
- 10 Leyton Orient sign Dan Kemp on a permanent deal from West Ham United
The panel includes well-known names from the industry, including beer writer and historian Pete Brown, master brewer Steve Wellington and TV's 'Beer Doctor' George Philliskirk.
The candidate with the most points will be crowned 'London Ale Taster 2010.' This is planned to become an annual event.
The competition is accompanied by a 'beer market' open to the public between 9am and 3pm, with free samples.