London ale taster of the year’ gets under way in East End battle
A COMPETITION is under way tomorrow for London’s most sought-after job, probably. Judges are looking for a London Ale Taster at Old Spitalfields Market in the East End
A COMPETITION is under way tomorrow for London's most sought-after job, probably.
Judges are looking for a London Ale Taster at Old Spitalfields Market in the East End.
The 'job' was advertised last month and market organisers have been swamped with applicants.
So a panel of experts has 'watered' them down to six shortlisted finalists who are being assessed for the coveted role.
You may also want to watch:
The event at 1pm begins with the contestants challenged with four tough rounds of ale tasting. They'll have to correctly identify unmarked samples of different ales and match them to a list.
In the final round, if they are still standing, the six hopefuls each have to make a one-minute presentation to the judges, without slurring their speech.
- 1 Mayor or leader: Your choice on May 6
- 2 Covid-19 mass testing after variant detected in E1 postal area
- 3 Politicians join forces on referendum about Tower Hamlets mayor
- 4 Teenager arrested after 13-year-old stabbed in Isle of Dogs
- 5 Ramadan explained: Everything you need to know about the Islamic holy month
- 6 Covid patients in intensive care down to single figures at hospital trust
- 7 Orient boss McAnuff determined to not help Salford City into the play-offs
- 8 'I'm backing leader and cabinet model in Tower Hamlets referendum'
- 9 Man, 19, stabbed in Stepney Green Park
- 10 East London venue to host big-screen Euro 2020 football fanzone
The panel includes well-known names from the industry, including beer writer and historian Pete Brown, master brewer Steve Wellington and TV's 'Beer Doctor' George Philliskirk.
The candidate with the most points will be crowned 'London Ale Taster 2010.' This is planned to become an annual event.
The competition is accompanied by a 'beer market' open to the public between 9am and 3pm, with free samples.