London Assembly’s John Biggs given last parcel posting for Xmas
- Credit: John Biggs Office
Opening hours at Royal Mail parcel offices are being extended in east London to cope with the Christmas rush.
The extension was announced ahead of deadlines for parcels to arrive in time for the festive season during a visit to the huge Whitechapel sorting office by London Assembly’s John Biggs.
Delivery manager Eddie Mowatt showed him round on his fact-finding tour of the E1 postal district depot at its busiest time in the run-up to Christmas.
“Many people don’t want to wait for redelivery,” Eddie told him. “So we’re extending opening hours at a number of offices to make it easier to pick up parcels in person.
“Our people pull out all the stops over the busy festive period.”
Last posting dates for mail to arrive in time for Christmas are Wednesday for second-class parcels, Friday for first-class and next Monday for Special Deliveries. But deadline for items going abroad to Europe and America passed last weekend.
- 1 Single van racks up £36k of fines in Tower Hamlets
- 2 Delayed Canary Wharf 'portacabin' hotel hopes to open in 2022
- 3 Man jailed for rape after attacking woman walking back from Canning Town
- 4 Free vegan food at Spitalfields Market
- 5 Liveable Streets: Councillors remove some Brick Lane closures after 'backlash'
- 6 Housing association apologises after sewage leaks at Isle of Dogs tower blocks
- 7 Strike action will hit Central and Victoria line Night Tube services this weekend
- 8 County lines drug dealer jailed
- 9 Trio accused of Bow Lock murder were 'associates' of victim 'Aqil' Mahdi
- 10 When are Royal Mail's last posting dates for Christmas 2021?