London boroughs to receive Covid Winter Grant Scheme funding boost
- Credit: Kirsty O'Connor/PA
London councils are to receive an extra £9.5million under the Covid Winter Grant Scheme, it has been announced.
This will be added to each council's allocation, previously set according to a decided share of the initial £170m pot set aside in England.
That first injection was intended to last until this month, with this latest boost intended for the two-week Easter period (until April 16).
As with the initial allocation, Newham and Tower Hamlets will benefit most from the boost, receiving £470,772 and £418,230 respectively (to add to the £1m-plus each received previously).
Barking and Dagenham is set to receive £302,480, while Havering and Redbridge will get £231,087 and £274,259 each.
You may also want to watch:
Though 80 per cent of the funding is ringfenced for food, energy and water bills, councils can choose how they deliver that support. The remaining 20pc is available for other associated costs.
- 1 Sentencing of arms dealers set for one year after Isle of Dogs raid
- 2 Two men arrested in connection with Shadwell double stabbing
- 3 Man found with stab injuries in Stepney
- 4 Jailed: Robbers who targeted OAPs at east London cashpoints
- 5 Teenager suffers 'life-changing' injuries after alleged attack in Shadwell
- 6 Jailed: Tower Hamlets man who tried to rape another man
- 7 David Gomoh's killers jailed 101 years total for Canning Town murder
- 8 Man who died in Mile End park named
- 9 Leyton Orient seal first away win of the season at Bristol Rovers
- 10 'Food delivery' youth in suspect Shoreditch drugs bust