London down the Tubes—but it’s bloomin’ lovely
PASSENGERS getting off the train at Canary Wharf station on the London Underground would get a surprise if this scene greeted them. They would be stepping onto grass covering the entire platform, with flowering oaks and palm trees in the middle and plants running up the escalators
PASSENGERS getting off the train at Canary Wharf station on the London Underground would get a surprise if this scene greeted them.
They would be stepping onto grass covering the entire platform, with flowering oaks and palm trees in the middle and plants running up the escalators.
It’s a transport planners’ dream—although they haven’t yet worked out how they’d grow healthy plant life without natural daylight 150ft deep under ground.
You may also want to watch:
This floral view of Canary Wharf deep under the financial district’s towering skyscrapers, showing an exotic and colourful Tube network, has been conjured up by Transport bosses to launch this year’s Underground in Bloom’ gardening contest.
Imaginative artists have used graphic imaging to see what the dusty old Tube might look like spruced up with natural flora.
- 1 Blaze at Canary Wharf tower block with cladding issue
- 2 Politicians join forces on referendum about Tower Hamlets mayor
- 3 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA seat and referendums
- 4 Street food and farmers' market return to City Island
- 5 Mayor or leader: Your choice on May 6
- 6 Hundreds of boilers break down in the East End during pandemic
- 7 Fast broadband deal is signed for thousands of East End homes
- 8 Teenager arrested after 13-year-old stabbed in Isle of Dogs
- 9 Covid-19 mass testing after variant detected in E1 postal area
- 10 England captain Harry Kane renews his shirt sponsorship with Leyton Orient
It’s aimed at encouraging station staff all over the Tube network to grow flowers, plants and even fruit and vegetables to make the daily rush-hour into town more pleasant for commuters.
Judging is July 27 to August 7, with the winners declared on September 10.