Search

Barbecue blamed for blaze on Limehouse roof terrace

PUBLISHED: 13:05 03 September 2018 | UPDATED: 13:05 03 September 2018

Ross Way, Limehouse. Picture: Google

Ross Way, Limehouse. Picture: Google

Google

Firefighters blame a barbecue for starting a blaze on a Limehouse roof terrace.

Four fire engines and about 25 firefighters took 45 minutes to tackle the flames when crews were called to Ross Way shortly at 11.21pm yesterday (Sunday).

A disposable barbecue left on the terrace’s wooden decking caused the flames, investigators believe.

While no injuries were reported, London Fire Brigade has since urged the public caution when grilling outdoors.

“Disposable barbecues get extremely hot so it’s really dangerous to leave them on or near anything that could catch fire,” said watch manager Darren Barnett, who was in charge of the incident.

“Fortunately the damage at this fire wasn’t too extensive, but it could easily have been much worse, especially given the amount of wooden decking on the terrace.

“It’s important to make sure your barbecue is completely out when you’ve finished with it, and never leave it to smoulder as they stay hot for a long time.”


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the East London Advertiser. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the East London Advertiser