London hosts prestigious 2011 world sport conference
LONDON has seen off tough global competition to host the prestigious 2011 international Sport Accord convention. Boris Johnson made the announcement at the 2012 Olympics business summit’ in East London’s ExCel centre yesterday
LONDON has seen off tough global competition to host the prestigious 2011 international Sport Accord convention.
Boris Johnson made the announcement at the 2012 Olympics business summit’ in East London’s ExCel centre yesterday.
Sport Accord will see 1,500 of the world’s top sporting officials and business people from 60 countries in town for the six-day event which will put �3 million into London’s coffers, the Mayor pointed out.
But the convention is expected to be worth much more as a showcase’ of British expertise, with preparations going full steam for the 2012 Games just a year later. It is being seen as a way to boost the UK’s market share of the �65 billion global sports industry.
You may also want to watch:
Sport Accord has a vested interest in any city hosting the Olympics. Its top entrepreneur delegates will be keen to witness at first hand London’s final preparations for the 2012 Olympics.
The convention in the Park Plaza Westminster Bridge in the spring of 2011 will be the first time it is being hosted in the UK.
- 1 Jury sent home for the day in MP Apsana Begum's trial on housing fraud charges
- 2 Poplar MP acquitted of Tower Hamlets housing fraud
- 3 Jailed: Cyclist who rode off after fatal collision with 'gentleman', 72
- 4 Highest point reached on new homes in disused Bethnal Green car park
- 5 Unlocked rooms created 'radiation exposure risk' at hospital, inspectors report
- 6 Poplar MP tells court: 'I fled home when brother said I was possessed'
- 7 Home Office pours £1m into tackling drug-related problems in East End
- 8 Leyton Orient still looking to add one or two new signings
- 9 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 10 Leyton Orient sign Theo Archibald on loan from Lincoln City