London libraries hit UK’s Top 20 for visits—but not for books
SIX libraries in London are among the most popular in Britain, with the capital having more listed in the Top 20 than any other region in the UK. Croydon is tghe most popular in London with a million visitors a year, according to the latest annual libraries survey
SIX libraries in London are among the most popular in Britain, with the capital having more listed in the Top 20 than any other region in the UK.
Croydon Central Library appears to be most popular in London with more than a million visitors a year, according to the latest survey for the Museums & Libraries Archive Council.
It was number four on the national list, with the East End’s much acclaimed Whitechapel Idea Store’ trailing the London centres in 18th place with 650,000 visitors.
The six London places were: 4th Croydon with 1,051,366 visitors, 8th Hounslow with 766,232, 9th Romford 759,722, 10th Wood Green 745,141, 16th Hendon 682,838 and 18th Whitechapel 649,203.
You may also want to watch:
The most popular library in Britain by far was the Millenium centre in Norwich with more than 1,500,000 visitors a year. It was also top of the poll for number of books borrowed, well over a million in just 12 months.
The London libraries did badly on the borrowed books’ Top 20, with only Croydon and Bromley on the list in the bottom two places.
- 1 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA seat and referendums
- 2 Tower Hamlets votes to keep directly-elected mayoral post
- 3 Early front-runners for Leyton Orient managerial vacancy
- 4 Leyton Orient defender Josh Coulson set to depart
- 5 Blaze at Canary Wharf tower block with cladding issue
- 6 Racist vandalism keyed on cars parked in street on Isle of Dogs
- 7 Mayor or leader: Your choice on May 6
- 8 Politicians join forces on referendum about Tower Hamlets mayor
- 9 'I'm backing leader and cabinet model in Tower Hamlets referendum'
- 10 New Providence Wharf fire: Two in hospital and 42 treated at scene