London libraries hit UK’s Top 20 for visits—but not for books
SIX libraries in London are among the most popular in Britain, with the capital having more listed in the Top 20 than any other region in the UK. Croydon is tghe most popular in London with a million visitors a year, according to the latest annual libraries survey
SIX libraries in London are among the most popular in Britain, with the capital having more listed in the Top 20 than any other region in the UK.
Croydon Central Library appears to be most popular in London with more than a million visitors a year, according to the latest survey for the Museums & Libraries Archive Council.
It was number four on the national list, with the East End’s much acclaimed Whitechapel Idea Store’ trailing the London centres in 18th place with 650,000 visitors.
The six London places were: 4th Croydon with 1,051,366 visitors, 8th Hounslow with 766,232, 9th Romford 759,722, 10th Wood Green 745,141, 16th Hendon 682,838 and 18th Whitechapel 649,203.
You may also want to watch:
The most popular library in Britain by far was the Millenium centre in Norwich with more than 1,500,000 visitors a year. It was also top of the poll for number of books borrowed, well over a million in just 12 months.
The London libraries did badly on the borrowed books’ Top 20, with only Croydon and Bromley on the list in the bottom two places.
- 1 Man in 30s dies after Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 2 Man who stabbed teen at Crossharbour station found guilty of murder
- 3 Police patrols to increase after fatal Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 4 Concern growing for man last seen at Bow Road station
- 5 Authorities urged to act against 'terrifying' Isle of Dogs car races
- 6 Sentencing of arms dealers set for one year after Isle of Dogs raid
- 7 Police officer sacked after criminal conviction
- 8 Two men arrested in connection with Shadwell double stabbing
- 9 Man who died in Mile End park named
- 10 Jailed: Tower Hamlets man who tried to rape another man