London Metropolitan University bosses awarded �1m in bonuses
MANAGERS at the crisis-hit London Metropolitan University are receiving thousands of pounds in bonuses, it emerged this week. Around 200 senior academics, managers and members of the university s executive group are being given a total of �1m a year in
MANAGERS at the crisis-hit London Metropolitan University are receiving thousands of pounds in bonuses, it emerged this week.
Around 200 senior academics, managers and members of the university's executive group are being given a total of �1m a year in performance related pay, according to a leaked e-mail seen by the Advertiser.
It comes only eight months after the university, which has campuses in Whitechapel, Aldgate, Moorgate and Holloway, was told it needed to pay back around �36m after managers falsely claimed funding for thousands of non-existent students.
An enquiry last November revealed the university failed to keep track of students or ensure they sat exams at the end of the year and following an investigation governors were forced to resign and the university's vice-chancellor Brian Roper stood down.
And union members claim there were 350 job cuts.
This week Chair of Unison's London Met branch, Max Watson, said: "London Met managers continue to live in cloud cuckoo land and award themselves bonuses worth �1m per year despite their well documented track record.
- 1 Jailed: 8 east London offenders put behind bars in June
- 2 Three stabbed in Chrisp Street chicken shop
- 3 Police officer sacked for 'turning blind eye’ to criminal husband
- 4 Bow Lock murder defendants blame each other for fatal attack
- 5 Former Tower Hamlets councillor publishes autobiography on life as a hijabi woman
- 6 Woman treated at scene as 40 firefighters called to Bow tower block
- 7 8 charged after drugs raids in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 8 O2 Centre climb: Entertaining with fantastic panoramic views of London
- 9 Man accused of Yasmin Begum killing denies murder and burglary
- 10 V&A launches festival to celebrate 150 years in Bethnal Green
"This is jaw-dropping hypocrisy and a slap in the face to us hard working, poorly paid support staff, without whom there would be no university.
"Any further cuts will be strongly resisted, and until they get real and stop lining their own pockets, there can be no goodwill toward any of them."
The internal email sent by Tracey Gormley, a senior adviser at London Met's human resources department said: "PRP (performance related pay) for around 200 Research Institute Directors, Academic Leaders, Professional Managers, Senior Managers and Professors totals around �1M per annum.