London Plane tree is just plain sense making East End greener
THE Town Hall’s cabinet member for green’ issues was in paradise’ planting a sapling to help make London’s drab East End a little greener. Council member Abdal Ullah was planting his London Plane tree in Bethnal Green’s Paradise Row Gardens
THE Town Hall's cabinet member for 'green' issues was in 'paradise' planting a sapling to help make London's drab East End a little greener.
Council member Abdal Ullah, the cabinet member environment issues at Tower Hamlets, was planting his London Plane tree in Bethnal Green's Paradise Row Gardens.
"We're making Tower Hamlets a greener borough," he said.
"Trees are crucial to this. They are packed with benefits, brightening up an area, produce oxygen, create wildlife habitats, provide shelter and reduce carbon dioxide."
You may also want to watch:
The local authority has committed itself as part of National Tree Week to planting 340 street trees in the coming months.
Native trees such as Birch and Crab Apple and those with large leafy canopies such as Sweet Chestnuts and Liquid Ambers are being planted on routes between parks and open spaces to create green 'corridors' for wildlife.
- 1 Dog festival gets go-ahead for Isle of Dogs, of all places
- 2 Pedestrian struck by motorcycle in critical condition following Stepney collision
- 3 Kenny Jackett emerges as odds-on favourite for Leyton Orient job
- 4 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 5 South Africa and Indian Covid variants found in Shoreditch and Dalston
- 6 Groomed girl speaks out after 'dangerous' Barking dealer who dealt Class A drugs in East End is jailed
- 7 Battle lost to save historic Whitechapel bell foundry
- 8 Campaign launched to 'clean up the Thames and help save world's oceans'
- 9 Hot tub and BBQ boats relaunched at Canary Wharf
- 10 Racist vandalism keyed on cars parked in street on Isle of Dogs
The London Plane is traditionally one of the most popular, used in the past for its ability to cope with pollution. Just perfect for the East End.