London’s newest hotel opens in Bow full of bugs on its first day
- Credit: TH Biodiversity
A new “insect hotel” has been built next to a housing estate in London’s East End which has become full of bugs on its first day.
It has been built next to O’Brien House on Bow’s Greenways housing estate from recycled materials like old pallets found on the housing estate.
Gaps in the structure were filled with things to create habitats for bugs, such as broken pots, drain pipes, cardboard poster tubes, corrugated cardboard, plastic bottles, straw, hay, plastic sheet, carpet tiles, roofing felt, pine cones, tree bark and old leaves. Guests have already booked in.
“The wild area by O’Brien House is quiet and unlikely to be disturbed,” explained Tower Hamlets Homes’ Veronica Suwara. “It’s sheltered with trees and not too wet or dry.”
The housing organisation has already helped “find accommodation” for insects, particularly bees and butterflies, by creating one of 21 new annual wildflower meadows in the wild garden next to O’Brien House.
You may also want to watch:
The insect hotel adds more habitat. Some insects, such as solitary bees, will benefit from both garden and shelter projects, feeding on the flowers and nesting in cavities in the insect hotel.
Bugsy’s Hotel is the second created by Tower Hamlets Homes, following one built at Matilda House in Wapping in 2013 which is fully booked throughout the year. But then, it is less than half-a-mile from the Tower of London tourist venue.
- 1 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 2 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 3 'Grenfell Tower'-type cladding still not removed from New Providence Wharf after 3 years
- 4 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 5 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 6 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
- 7 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 8 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 9 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave