Lorries seized in cop swoop for illegal waste dumping
POLICE squads stopped 30 lorries in the street suspected of illegal flytipping in East London. One driver was arrested and two vehicles were seized in the joint operation by cops and local authority environment officials
POLICE squads stopped 30 lorries in the street suspected of illegal flytipping in East London.
One driver was arrested and two vehicles were seized in the joint operation by cops and local authority environment officials.
They stopped vehicles carrying or were capable of carrying waste to determine where it was collected from, whether the carrier was registered and where the waste would be disposed.
"There has been a problem with vehicles illegally dumping scrap tyres, builders' waste and furniture," said a Tower Hamlets council spokesman.
You may also want to watch:
"We want to deter those that produce, carry or dispose of waste illegally or those passing through East London to stop this happening."
Police arrested one driver for having no license or insurance-who was also wanted by Bedford Magistrates' Court for failing to appear at court on a traffic matter.
- 1 Teenager suffers 'life-changing' injuries after alleged attack in Shadwell
- 2 Man who died in Mile End park named
- 3 Truman's Brewery future being debated at Tower Hamlets Council
- 4 Two men rescued from Shadwell flat fire
- 5 Depth up front is going to be vital says Leyton Orient boss Jackett
- 6 Truman Brewery offices, shops and restaurants plan gets green light
- 7 Rape victim speaks out as Met Police relaunch Ask for Angela scheme
- 8 'Food delivery' youth in suspect Shoreditch drugs bust
- 9 Protest rally over Uyghur Muslims planned at China’s new Royal Mint embassy
- 10 Call to remain vigilant after gay man killed in park in Mile End
Two other vehicles were also seized after the drivers were found to have no insurance.
Tower Hamlets local environment team is now carrying out further investigations into 14 of the 30 vehicles that were stopped which were potentially carrying illegal waste.