Lorries seized in cop swoop for illegal waste dumping
POLICE squads stopped 30 lorries in the street suspected of illegal flytipping in East London. One driver was arrested and two vehicles were seized in the joint operation by cops and local authority environment officials
POLICE squads stopped 30 lorries in the street suspected of illegal flytipping in East London.
One driver was arrested and two vehicles were seized in the joint operation by cops and local authority environment officials.
They stopped vehicles carrying or were capable of carrying waste to determine where it was collected from, whether the carrier was registered and where the waste would be disposed.
"There has been a problem with vehicles illegally dumping scrap tyres, builders' waste and furniture," said a Tower Hamlets council spokesman.
You may also want to watch:
"We want to deter those that produce, carry or dispose of waste illegally or those passing through East London to stop this happening."
Police arrested one driver for having no license or insurance-who was also wanted by Bedford Magistrates' Court for failing to appear at court on a traffic matter.
- 1 Leyton Orient confident next manager will take them to the next level
- 2 Leyton Orient reportedly down to final three candidates
- 3 Man, 20, found fighting for life at illegal rave in Bow
- 4 Fire breaks out in flat near New Providence Wharf tower block
- 5 Indian variant of Covid-19 - what's the situation in London?
- 6 South Africa and Indian Covid variants found in Shoreditch and Dalston
- 7 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 8 Groomed girl speaks out after 'dangerous' Barking dealer who dealt Class A drugs in East End is jailed
- 9 Dog festival gets go-ahead for Isle of Dogs, of all places
- 10 Covid-19 mass testing after variant detected in E1 postal area
Two other vehicles were also seized after the drivers were found to have no insurance.
Tower Hamlets local environment team is now carrying out further investigations into 14 of the 30 vehicles that were stopped which were potentially carrying illegal waste.