Lorry driver bailed after cyclist dies in Commercial Road collision
A lorry driver who was arrested after a fatal collision with a cyclist has been released on bail.
The male driver was arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving at the scene of the incident in Commercial Road, Stepney, at rush hour yesterday (Thursday) morning. He has since been bailed pending further inquiries until March 2013.
The cyclist, believed to be in his 30s, was pronounced dead at the scene at rush hour. He was a cycle courier for Darwin’s Deli in Barnado Street, Shadwell, a short distance from the scene of the collision.
Colleagues described him as a “happy and friendly guy” who was “always smiling”.
Commercial Road remained closed in both directions for several hours yesterday morning.
You may also want to watch:
Police are urging anyone who witnessed the collision to contact the Road Death Investigation Unit on 0208 597 4874.
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 5 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 6 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 7 Leyton Orient boss Embleton expecting more movement in the transfer window
- 8 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 9 Leyton Orient seal late victory over Morecambe
- 10 Leyton Orient sign Dan Kemp on a permanent deal from West Ham United