Lorry driver bailed after cyclist dies in Commercial Road collision
A lorry driver who was arrested after a fatal collision with a cyclist has been released on bail.
The male driver was arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving at the scene of the incident in Commercial Road, Stepney, at rush hour yesterday (Thursday) morning. He has since been bailed pending further inquiries until March 2013.
The cyclist, believed to be in his 30s, was pronounced dead at the scene at rush hour. He was a cycle courier for Darwin’s Deli in Barnado Street, Shadwell, a short distance from the scene of the collision.
Colleagues described him as a “happy and friendly guy” who was “always smiling”.
Commercial Road remained closed in both directions for several hours yesterday morning.
You may also want to watch:
Police are urging anyone who witnessed the collision to contact the Road Death Investigation Unit on 0208 597 4874.
- 1 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
- 2 Why some families can't leave Bow's 'dangerous structure' tower block
- 3 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 4 Two hospitalised as 60 firefighters tackle blaze in Stratford
- 5 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 6 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 7 Trees planted to remember people who died of Covid in the East End
- 8 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 9 Fast food! Lewis Hamilton-backed chain opening east London branches
- 10 O's will need a much improved display against leaders Forest Green