‘Lost Inca city’ artist details his new work at Old Truman Brewery
Ancient civilisations have been brought back to life and given a modern twist by an art student from east London whose work was seen by some 5,000 viewers at the weekend.
Machu Picchu, the ‘Lost City of the Incas’ in Peru, was 27-year-old Hector Lloyd’s inspiration for his 40ft sq illustration of a modern lost civilisation that went on show at the Old Truman Brewery in Brick Lane.
His artwork has modern objects like cars, a railway network and features people use in their day-to-day activities like shaving and brushing teeth with many details in extreme close up.
“It’s a bit like Where’s Wally,” he said. “The artwork shows everything, significant and insignificant, which may be happening at any given time, with intense detail.
“The inspiration came from lost cities of ancient civilizations and imagining what they might be like if they were still around.”
You may also want to watch:
He created the illustration completely by hand which took four months to complete.
Hector, who grew up in Bow, was showing his work as part of the Middlesex University’s Art & Design show, which attracted 5,000 visitors including industry specialists.
- 1 'Grenfell Tower'-type cladding still not removed from New Providence Wharf after 3 years
- 2 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 3 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 4 Whitechapel murder victim named as teenager charged with killing
- 5 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 6 Leyton Orient boss Embleton could rotate team for Bolton trip
- 7 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 8 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
- 9 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 10 'It must be urgently addressed': New research into BAME Covid impact
He was highly commended last year in the Macmillan children’s book prize for his illustrated Eggsodus, a tale about an overcrowded planet of egg people.