O’s hitman Bonne still set for Africa Cup of Nations
The Leyton Orient forward, who played for Zimbabwe in 2017, will be part of the Warriors squad if he receives his passport in time
Leyton Orient forward Macauley Bonne remains on course to face Liverpool superstar Mo Salah in the Africa Cup of Nations this summer.
The O's striker, who played for Zimbabwe's under-23s in 2014, made his international debut during a friendly two seasons ago.
He played in a 1-0 defeat to Lesotho in November 2017 and has remained committed to the Warriors ever since.
Bonne has enjoyed huge success at Orient, scoring 25 goals last season and 24 during a successful 2018/19 campaign where O's won the National League title.
You may also want to watch:
Now he could conclude a fine 12 month period with an appearance in the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations, but one small detail is still to be resolved.
Two weeks ago, on May 14, Bonne tweeted: "I have completed all necessary documents to get my Zimbabwe passport."
- 1 Whitechapel murder victim named as teenager charged with killing
- 2 'Grenfell Tower'-type cladding still not removed from New Providence Wharf after 3 years
- 3 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 4 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 5 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 6 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 7 'It must be urgently addressed': New research into BAME Covid impact
- 8 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 9 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 10 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
He added: "I will be travelling to 2019 Africa Cup of Nations this summer, representing my country."
Although Bonne submitted his papers to receive a Zimbabwean passport in London at the Zimbabwean Embassy, he is still waiting for it to come through and with the tournament starting on June 21, time is running out.
However, his national team remain confident they will be able to include the forward in their squad before the Confederation of African Football (CAF) registration deadline.
Zimbabwe have also asked the Government, through the Ministry of Sport, for special dispensation to ensure Bonne gets the papers which will allow him to compete in Egypt.
If the 23-year-old is able to play, he could face Liverpool's Salah in the first game of the tournament in Cairo.
Egypt will be against Zimbabwe in the Africa Cup of Nations opener with the countries in Group A alongside DR Congo and Uganda.
While some O's fans would prefer Bonne to rest this summer, he will relish the chance to impress on the world stage.