Macauley Bonne ‘so happy’ to be at Leyton Orient and loving life alongside car share buddy George Elokobi!
- Credit: Archant
Two ex-Colchester United boys have enjoyed being Leyton Orient players after signing on the same day in July
When Leyton Orient paid an undisclosed amount to purchase the services of Macauley Bonne from Colchester United on July 14 it represented something of a gamble for O’s.
Director of Football Martin Ling had spent money on a striker with a lot of potential, but one who had yet to establish himself despite loan spells at Lincoln City and Woking last season and some chances while at the U’s.
Fast forward to September and Bonne, 21, has seven goals in eight National League games for O’s and is buzzing he made the choice to move to Brisbane Road.
“I did have other options before coming here, but once I saw Leyton Orient were interested I snapped it up,” said the confident and bubbly youngster.
You may also want to watch:
“Straight away I said that is where I want to go and a club I want to be a part of and it is a brand new team.
“Everything is new and it is a good place to be. I am so happy I made the right choice and I am buzzing to be here.”
- 1 'Grenfell Tower'-type cladding still not removed from New Providence Wharf after 3 years
- 2 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 3 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 4 Whitechapel murder victim named as teenager charged with killing
- 5 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 6 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
- 7 Leyton Orient boss Embleton could rotate team for Bolton trip
- 8 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 9 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 10 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
If Bonne’s performances during the first four weeks of the season didn’t show how much he has felt at home at O’s, then the regular videos on Twitter involving him and Elokobi also highlight how much he is loving life in E10.
The pair, who both signed on the same day and spent time with each other at Colchester, have a strong bond.
Bonne and Elokobi car share on their way to Orient’s Chigwell training ground and the defender appears to enjoy singing to the forward on the way.
Several videos have showed the popular centre back serenading the striker by singing Alicia Keys’ ‘Girl on Fire’ song, but saying ‘Macca is on Fire’ instead.
And yet the pair didn’t even realise they would be team-mates at O’s, Bonne added: “I didn’t know George was signing!
“My agent texted me late in the day after I signed and told me to check Twitter and I saw George had joined.
“I rang him straight away and said when did you sign for Leyton Orient?! I was buzzing and I am now still.
“He is a massive player for us and not just physically, but in everything he does because he brings the team together.”
Despite this squad being very new, the spirit in the O’s camp seems extremely positive and that could be massive going forward.
Bonne feels that has helped Orient begin life in the National League with five wins from their opening eight fixtures.
He added: “We are a new team and it is great for us to all bond and play together and if you get that spirit early then it can help you go on a run and that’s what we are doing.”
So far the two ex-Colchester boys are loving life in east London and if Elokobi’s singing helps Bonne keep on scoring then long may it continue!