Man, 75, hurt in suspected attack in all-night store
A PENSIONER is in a serious condition in hospital after being injured in a suspected violent attack at a supermarket in London’s East End. Staff at the 24-hour store in Whitechapel rushed to help the 75-year-old after the attack
By Dean Valler
A PENSIONER is in a serious condition in hospital after being injured in a suspected assault at a supermarket in London’s East End.
Staff at the 24-hour Budgen’s store in Whitechapel rushed to help the 75-year-old at about 5am.
Witnesses have told police that the pensioner may have been attacked by another man who then left the store. Police studying CCTV footage and are trying to trace the injured man’s family.
Vishal Dave, shift manager at the store next to Whitechapel Underground station, said: “Blood was pouring from the man’s head after he hit the ground.
- 1 Archie Battersbee case to be reconsidered in High Court
- 2 Guilty: Man murdered woman at bus stop and tried to kill another a day later
- 3 £28k worth of illegal tobacco seized from containers and shops during raids
- 4 Jailed: 8 east London offenders put behind bars in June
- 5 Bethnal Green officers sacked over 'abhorrent and discriminatory' messages
- 6 Three stabbed in Chrisp Street chicken shop
- 7 1888 Match Girls’ Strike marked with blue plaque in east London
- 8 Arrest of 'Ilford kingpin' sparked ‘biggest ever' Channel crossings crack down
- 9 Police officer sacked for 'turning blind eye’ to criminal husband
- 10 Former Tower Hamlets councillor publishes autobiography on life as a hijabi woman
“The other man left without stopping and police have taken our CCTV footage for evidence.”
The pensioner has been detained at the Royal London Hospital in a serious condition.
Police are appealing for any witnesses who were in Whitechapel Road at around 5am today to call Det Sgt Cliff Jones at Limehouse CID on 020-7275 4503, or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800-555111.