Man, 75, hurt in suspected attack in all-night store
A PENSIONER is in a serious condition in hospital after being injured in a suspected violent attack at a supermarket in London’s East End. Staff at the 24-hour store in Whitechapel rushed to help the 75-year-old after the attack
By Dean Valler
A PENSIONER is in a serious condition in hospital after being injured in a suspected assault at a supermarket in London’s East End.
Staff at the 24-hour Budgen’s store in Whitechapel rushed to help the 75-year-old at about 5am.
Witnesses have told police that the pensioner may have been attacked by another man who then left the store. Police studying CCTV footage and are trying to trace the injured man’s family.
You may also want to watch:
Vishal Dave, shift manager at the store next to Whitechapel Underground station, said: “Blood was pouring from the man’s head after he hit the ground.
- 1 Leyton Orient linked with Omar Beckles, Connor Wood and Paul Smyth
- 2 It's been a busy week at Leyton Orient with plenty of signings expected
- 3 Tributes paid after Tower Hamlets councillor dies at 40
- 4 Drivers fight Tower Hamlets for years over 'clamping on private land'
- 5 Docklands man pleads guilty to firearms offences
- 6 Waste bin by the Thames used as 'lifebuoy' to save marine life
- 7 Golfer to visit Canary Wharf on 'world's longest golf hole challenge'
- 8 Queen's Birthday Honours: Caterer who gave out free meals gets BEM
- 9 'Earn while you learn' new degree course for students from any background
- 10 Man 'brandishes gun' in busy Canary Wharf restaurant
“The other man left without stopping and police have taken our CCTV footage for evidence.”
The pensioner has been detained at the Royal London Hospital in a serious condition.
Police are appealing for any witnesses who were in Whitechapel Road at around 5am today to call Det Sgt Cliff Jones at Limehouse CID on 020-7275 4503, or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800-555111.