Man charged with murder after Shadwell flat arson
Police have charged a 52-year-old man with murder after a fire in a flat killed two people.
Aaron Bhasin was yesterday (Wednesday) charged with two counts of murder and one count of arson with intent to endanger life following the blaze in Chapman Street, Shadwell in the early hours of Monday morning.
He was due to appear in custody at Thames Magistrates’ Court this morning (Thursday).
Police, London Fire Brigade and the London Ambulance Service were called the fire at 1.20am on Monday where they found the bodies of two men in the maisonette.
Officers await formal identification and to ensure all next of kin have been informed.
You may also want to watch:
Post-mortem examinations took place at Poplar Mortuary on Tuesday 8 March and gave cause of death for both men as smoke inhalation.
It is thought that one of the victims is Bahsin’s 83-year-old father, named locally as Tony.
- 1 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
- 3 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 4 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 5 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 6 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 7 Streets around proposed Chinese embassy building could be renamed after persecuted Muslims
- 8 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 9 Police raid cannabis factory near Liverpool Street station: 2 arrests
- 10 No injuries but 20 rescued as firefighters tackle Limehouse blaze
The incident is being investigated by the Homicide and Serious Crime Command under Det Chief Insp Stephen Clayman.