Man charged with murder after Shadwell flat arson
Police have charged a 52-year-old man with murder after a fire in a flat killed two people.
Aaron Bhasin was yesterday (Wednesday) charged with two counts of murder and one count of arson with intent to endanger life following the blaze in Chapman Street, Shadwell in the early hours of Monday morning.
He was due to appear in custody at Thames Magistrates’ Court this morning (Thursday).
Police, London Fire Brigade and the London Ambulance Service were called the fire at 1.20am on Monday where they found the bodies of two men in the maisonette.
Officers await formal identification and to ensure all next of kin have been informed.
You may also want to watch:
Post-mortem examinations took place at Poplar Mortuary on Tuesday 8 March and gave cause of death for both men as smoke inhalation.
It is thought that one of the victims is Bahsin’s 83-year-old father, named locally as Tony.
- 1 Trial date set for MP Apsana Begum charged with 'housing fraud'
- 2 Tributes paid after Tower Hamlets councillor dies at 40
- 3 Plans mooted to change East End MP constituency boundaries
- 4 Docklands man pleads guilty to firearms offences
- 5 Delta variant accounts for majority of Covid cases in much of east London
- 6 Friends of John Pierce compiling 'book of memories' for his family
- 7 Photography celebrating Roman Road displayed in high street windows
- 8 Police renew appeal over disappearance of man last seen in Poplar
- 9 Man 'brandishes gun' in busy Canary Wharf restaurant
- 10 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
The incident is being investigated by the Homicide and Serious Crime Command under Det Chief Insp Stephen Clayman.