Man charged with murder after Shadwell flat arson
Police have charged a 52-year-old man with murder after a fire in a flat killed two people.
Aaron Bhasin was yesterday (Wednesday) charged with two counts of murder and one count of arson with intent to endanger life following the blaze in Chapman Street, Shadwell in the early hours of Monday morning.
He was due to appear in custody at Thames Magistrates’ Court this morning (Thursday).
Police, London Fire Brigade and the London Ambulance Service were called the fire at 1.20am on Monday where they found the bodies of two men in the maisonette.
Officers await formal identification and to ensure all next of kin have been informed.
Post-mortem examinations took place at Poplar Mortuary on Tuesday 8 March and gave cause of death for both men as smoke inhalation.
It is thought that one of the victims is Bahsin’s 83-year-old father, named locally as Tony.
- 1 Man, woman and child escape 'large' e-bike fire in Wapping flat by climbing out window
- 2 Tower Hamlets A Level results 2022: Live updates for borough's schools
- 3 Plan to install gates at canalside development blocked despite ASB concerns
- 4 'Do not eat' - Lidl recalls product over bacteria fears
- 5 Thames Water: Hosepipe ban announced for London and Thames Valley
- 6 Teenager, 17, arrested after car crashes into Bow apartment building
- 7 'Ruthless' killer sentenced for Isle of Dogs murder
- 8 Investigation under way after fire and explosion at Shoreditch block
- 9 Jailed: Eight east London offenders locked up in July
- 10 London Assembly: TfL urged to rethink plans to cut 78 bus routes
The incident is being investigated by the Homicide and Serious Crime Command under Det Chief Insp Stephen Clayman.