Man charged with murder after Shadwell flat arson
Police have charged a 52-year-old man with murder after a fire in a flat killed two people.
Aaron Bhasin was yesterday (Wednesday) charged with two counts of murder and one count of arson with intent to endanger life following the blaze in Chapman Street, Shadwell in the early hours of Monday morning.
He was due to appear in custody at Thames Magistrates’ Court this morning (Thursday).
Police, London Fire Brigade and the London Ambulance Service were called the fire at 1.20am on Monday where they found the bodies of two men in the maisonette.
Officers await formal identification and to ensure all next of kin have been informed.
You may also want to watch:
Post-mortem examinations took place at Poplar Mortuary on Tuesday 8 March and gave cause of death for both men as smoke inhalation.
It is thought that one of the victims is Bahsin’s 83-year-old father, named locally as Tony.
- 1 Sentencing of arms dealers set for one year after Isle of Dogs raid
- 2 Two men arrested in connection with Shadwell double stabbing
- 3 Jailed: Robbers who targeted OAPs at east London cashpoints
- 4 Man found with stab injuries in Stepney
- 5 Teenager suffers 'life-changing' injuries after alleged attack in Shadwell
- 6 Jailed: Tower Hamlets man who tried to rape another man
- 7 David Gomoh's killers jailed 101 years total for Canning Town murder
- 8 Man who died in Mile End park named
- 9 Leyton Orient seal first away win of the season at Bristol Rovers
- 10 'Food delivery' youth in suspect Shoreditch drugs bust
The incident is being investigated by the Homicide and Serious Crime Command under Det Chief Insp Stephen Clayman.