Man dies after plunging 40ft to escape explosion in East End flats
A MAN is reported to have died after plunging 40ft to escape a blaze in his family home. The blaze broke out on the fourth floor of Ellen Wilkinson House off Bethnal Green’s Roman Road.
A MAN is reported to have died after plunging 40ft to escape a blaze in his family home.
The blaze broke out on the fourth floor of Ellen Wilkinson House off Bethnal Green’s Roman Road last night.
“He was badly burned from the fire when he jumped from the fourth floor,” London Fire Brigade watch manager Dave Carnegie told the East London Advertiser.
“He hurled himself from the window ledge to escape and landed in the communal gardens below.”
You may also want to watch:
The man, in his 20s, was taken to the Royal London Hospital in Whitechapel. Police say they are waiting to speak to next of kin.
- 1 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 2 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 3 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 4 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
- 5 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 6 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 7 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 8 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 9 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 10 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
Eye witness Julia Lyubova, 28, said: “There was a big explosion and smoke everywhere. The fire was big.”
A team of six firefighters in breathing apparatus battled their way through flames and thick smoke searching for a child.
But the youngster was reported to have got out in time along with two women from the flat and a second man who was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation.