Man dies after plunging 40ft to escape explosion in East End flats
A MAN is reported to have died after plunging 40ft to escape a blaze in his family home. The blaze broke out on the fourth floor of Ellen Wilkinson House off Bethnal Green’s Roman Road.
A MAN is reported to have died after plunging 40ft to escape a blaze in his family home.
The blaze broke out on the fourth floor of Ellen Wilkinson House off Bethnal Green’s Roman Road last night.
“He was badly burned from the fire when he jumped from the fourth floor,” London Fire Brigade watch manager Dave Carnegie told the East London Advertiser.
“He hurled himself from the window ledge to escape and landed in the communal gardens below.”
You may also want to watch:
The man, in his 20s, was taken to the Royal London Hospital in Whitechapel. Police say they are waiting to speak to next of kin.
- 1 Sentencing of arms dealers set for one year after Isle of Dogs raid
- 2 Two men arrested in connection with Shadwell double stabbing
- 3 Jailed: Robbers who targeted OAPs at east London cashpoints
- 4 Man found with stab injuries in Stepney
- 5 Teenager suffers 'life-changing' injuries after alleged attack in Shadwell
- 6 Jailed: Tower Hamlets man who tried to rape another man
- 7 David Gomoh's killers jailed 101 years total for Canning Town murder
- 8 Man who died in Mile End park named
- 9 Leyton Orient seal first away win of the season at Bristol Rovers
- 10 'Food delivery' youth in suspect Shoreditch drugs bust
Eye witness Julia Lyubova, 28, said: “There was a big explosion and smoke everywhere. The fire was big.”
A team of six firefighters in breathing apparatus battled their way through flames and thick smoke searching for a child.
But the youngster was reported to have got out in time along with two women from the flat and a second man who was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation.