Man held after Thames mystery death at Wapping
DETECTIVES investigating the death of a man whose body was recovered from the River Thames have tonight arrested a man in East London. The 20-year-old was arrested at his address in connection with the death at Wapping which is being treated as suspicious
DETECTIVES investigating the death of a man whose body was recovered from the River Thames have tonight arrested a man in East London.
The 20-year-old was arrested at his address in connection with the death at Wapping which is being treated as suspicious. He is currently being held in custody at an East London police station.
Police divers found the body at 10 this-morning at Shadwell Basin, more than 12 hours after witnesses saw him fall into the river.
Police were at first called to an incident reported at Garnet Street in Wapping at around 9.30 last night.
You may also want to watch:
They were told the man in his 20s had been involved in a fight with a group of others before he was seen to fall into the water.
Divers were joined by fire brigade and ambulance crews, as well as police boats, in the search for the man, but hailed to find him.
- 1 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 2 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 3 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 4 Students in rent strike over Queen Mary's campus staying open during Covid emergency
- 5 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 6 500 deaf children wait to see if their education needs will be cut by Tower Hamlets Council
- 7 Lockdown dancing in your own living room goes online from Canary Wharf
- 8 Tower of London's Queen raven feared dead
- 9 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 10 Hunt for bogus health worker who gave fake Covid jab to woman of 92
They resumed their search this-morning when the body was recovered.
A post-mortem at Poplar Mortuary this-afternoon confirmed cause of death as drowning.
But detectives are treating the death as suspicious, Scotland Yard has confirmed.
A 17-year-old girl who was believed to have been at the scene was treated in hospital for a head injury.
Police are appealing for witnesses who were in Wapping on Thursday night around 9.30 or anyone with information to contact the incident room on 020-8345 3734, or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800-555111.