Man held after Thames mystery death at Wapping
DETECTIVES investigating the death of a man whose body was recovered from the River Thames have tonight arrested a man in East London. The 20-year-old was arrested at his address in connection with the death at Wapping which is being treated as suspicious
DETECTIVES investigating the death of a man whose body was recovered from the River Thames have tonight arrested a man in East London.
The 20-year-old was arrested at his address in connection with the death at Wapping which is being treated as suspicious. He is currently being held in custody at an East London police station.
Police divers found the body at 10 this-morning at Shadwell Basin, more than 12 hours after witnesses saw him fall into the river.
Police were at first called to an incident reported at Garnet Street in Wapping at around 9.30 last night.
You may also want to watch:
They were told the man in his 20s had been involved in a fight with a group of others before he was seen to fall into the water.
Divers were joined by fire brigade and ambulance crews, as well as police boats, in the search for the man, but hailed to find him.
- 1 Man stabbed outside West India Quay DLR station
- 2 Midfielder Ouss Cisse confirms Leyton Orient departure
- 3 Campaigners taking on town hall to keep Isle of Dogs youth club open
- 4 Tyrese Omotoye impresses on O's trial as Ouss Cisse looks set to depart
- 5 Data reveals house price rises in Olympic boroughs since London 2012
- 6 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 7 Eggslut food truck to bring 'edible breakfast cloud' to Shoreditch
- 8 Campaigners oppose plans to change voting system for Tower Hamlets mayor
- 9 Tower Hamlets stages Covid jab festival
- 10 Leyton Orient still looking to add one or two new signings
They resumed their search this-morning when the body was recovered.
A post-mortem at Poplar Mortuary this-afternoon confirmed cause of death as drowning.
But detectives are treating the death as suspicious, Scotland Yard has confirmed.
A 17-year-old girl who was believed to have been at the scene was treated in hospital for a head injury.
Police are appealing for witnesses who were in Wapping on Thursday night around 9.30 or anyone with information to contact the incident room on 020-8345 3734, or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800-555111.