Man in court charged with attempted murder in East End
A MAN was due in court today in connection with Friday’s shooting in London’s East End. Benton Roper, 33, appeared in custody before Thames magistrates charged with the attempted murder of a 22-year-old man in Bromley-by-Bow and with possessing a firearm with intent
A MAN was due in court today in connection with Friday’s shooting in London’s East End.
Two motorbikes and a silver Audi were involved in the incident which began in Devon’s Road in Bromley-by-Bow around midnight, according to police.
One of the bikes carrying a rider and pillion passenger crashed in St Paul’s Way nearby. The other, also carrying two people, collided with the car in Copperfield Way.
The rider or pillion passenger of one of the motorbikes, a 22-year-old man, was found with gunshot wounds and other injuries from the crash. He was taken to hospital in a serious condition.
The car driver and his passenger, both in their 30s, were also taken to hospital with injuries, but not detained. Both were subsequently arrested and released on police bail.
Detectives from the Met’s Operation Trident, which deals with gun crime in London’s black community, later appealed for witnesses or anyone with information to call 020-8217 7385, or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800-555111.
- 1 Cyclist in hospital after lorry collision in Whitechapel
- 2 Cycle paths joined up in Aldgate creates 'safe route' through east London
- 3 Flats under construction in Hackney Wick to be knocked down and rebuilt
- 4 Cyclist in 'critical but stable' condition after Whitechapel lorry crash
- 5 Thunderstorms to hit London this evening warns Met Office
- 6 Section 60 in place across Tower Hamlets after Stepney stabbing
- 7 Whitechapel nun pens book of 12 stories to inspire selflessness in society
- 8 12 stolen phones recovered after stop and search in Hackney
- 9 Mile End: Car crashes into bus stop during police pursuit
- 10 'A horrific attack': Man suffers critical head injuries from Shoreditch fight
Benton Roper, 33, appeared in custody before Thames magistrates charged with the attempted murder of a 22-year-old man at Copperfield Road in Bromley-by-Bow on March 5. Roper, from Burgess Street in Limehouse, is also charged with possessing a firearm with intent to danger life.