Man quizzed on murder’ after woman, 69, found dead in East End
NEIGHBOURS are in shock this evening after learning of the death of a 69-year-old woman in suspicious circumstances in London’s East End late last night. A man has been arrested on suspicion of murder and is being questioned by detectives this-evening
NEIGHBOURS are in shock this evening after learning of the death of a 69-year-old woman in suspicious circumstances in London's East End late last night.
A man has been arrested on suspicion of her murder and is being questioned by detectives this-evening.
Police and ambulance paramedics were called at 10pm to reports of a woman attacked at a seventh floor flat at Whitechapel's Lister House tower block in Lomas Street, off Vallance Road.
They found the woman, later identified as Howarum Begum, dead in the flat.
You may also want to watch:
"Next of kin are aware," said a Scotland Yard spokesman. "We are waiting for formal identification, but are satisfied she is Howarum Begum who lives at that address."
A post-mortem at Poplar Mortuary today (Thursday) gave cause of death as severe blunt trauma to the head and chest.
- 1 The Queen lends her name to Royal London’s emergency Covid wards
- 3 No injuries but 20 rescued as firefighters tackle Limehouse blaze
- 4 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 5 Police raid cannabis factory near Liverpool Street station: 2 arrests
- 6 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
- 7 Streets around proposed Chinese embassy building could be renamed after persecuted Muslims
- 8 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 9 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
Next door neighbour Ahmed Saleh, 34, told the East London Advertiser this evening: "It is unbelievable this has happened. It's very sad. I didn't hear anything and only found out when the police arrived last night."
He added: "She was always chatting, a very nice person."
Mrs Begum, a grandmother, lived in the flat with her son, believed to be separated from his wife.
A man in his 40s was arrested at the flat on suspicion of murder and is currently in custody at an East London police station. An incident room has opened at Barking under Det Chief Ins John Macdonald.